how do plecos do the nasty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i thought you knew how to breed all fish? there is no one easy answer for that. most do cave spawnings. depending on the pleco it may be easy or hard to tell male or female.

Pleco style? Unless the tank is in your room and then who know what they have seen.

i thought you knew how to breed all fish? there is no one easy answer for that. most do cave spawnings. depending on the pleco it may be easy or hard to tell male or female.
first off i never said all fish, i did say most fish and i meant to say most live breeders and cichlids. so calm down. and for white devil yes the tanks in my room i have three tank in my room a 10 gallon with mollies, a 5 gallon with no fish i had ghost shrimp in it but my girl for got to turn off the light during the day and the temp raised to 110 degrees so they got cooked. and my 55 gallon right next to my bed.

since livebeares do it on their own ill give you that. but making such bold statements as most fish or most cichlids i think is a little far fetched. breeding a pair of jags isnt knowing how to breed most cichlids.

different ways to answer ones questions depending on ones skill set. at times you make statements as if your are a expert then the next like you just started.

just like cichlids there is no one answer on how to breed plecos. cichlids spawn different ways and so do plecos. my advice is to figure out what plecos you want to try and spawn than ask about them.

since livebeares do it on their own ill give you that. but making such bold statements as most fish or most cichlids i think is a little far fetched. breeding a pair of jags isnt knowing how to breed most cichlids.

different ways to answer ones questions depending on ones skill set. at times you make statements as if your are a expert then the next like you just started.

just like cichlids there is no one answer on how to breed plecos. cichlids spawn different ways and so do plecos. my advice is to figure out what plecos you want to try and spawn than ask about them.

I agree. PlanetCatfish • the online home of aquarium catfishes is a great place to start for any info you would like about plecos. There are a ton of pics, ID's, and species profiles. Truly a wealth of info. :)

how can i tell if there male or female. and do they have to be the same type?

There are many types of "plecos" and some reach phenomenal sizes and some require very specific water parameters and diets. If you want to foray into breeding plecos I would recommend starting with one of the smaller species like bristlenoses. Considering your tank sizes these would be the most appropriate.

There is just too much information to condense into a paragraph or two aboout breeding them. The males have a bushy set of "bristles" about the head and mouth and the females much less so. You would need to aquire an adult pair. I would start with aquabid .com and see if you can find someone selling offspring. E-mail them and maybe they will start sharing with you some techniques. Some people have great success with little or no experience, some experts toil over spawning plecos. I have spawned so many fishes both as a hobbyist and as a commercial breeder but I have yet to spawn cory cats with any consistant success. So it goes.

I would do as one poster said and visit planet catfish. Read as much as you can and learn as much as you can before you aquire the fish. They deserve to have a stable home if nothing else.

Good luck, Bill.

my dads has breed any different types of cichlids with me buy his side so i ay not have personally breed them but i watched my dad and learned a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
i am trying to do nothing but answer your questions. what you do on your own is beyond my control.

Back
Top Bottom