How many fry per fish species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J.Serrano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, im just curious about how many babies a pregnant fish can have at once, and i thought it would be cool to have a thread where we can discuss this for multiple species... Also, it would be cool to say if the species is a live bearer or an egg layer.

Ill go first... Anyone know the answer for
1) platties?
2) guppies?

I can speak for Discus and say that they are egg layers. The softer the water, the better and lower the pH, the better of chances you have. Discus, depending on the experience of a breeding pair, will lay anywhere from a dozen or two up to possibly 150-200. The spawning process (female laying till male fertilizes) is about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

After about 48 hours one of two things will happen. Either they will turn white and become hard, or you'll begin to see some coloration. At any point during this time, especially with new or young breeding pairs, they may be eaten by the parents. It's just their inexperience showing.

The fry will eat mucus from the parents slime coat for the first week and then should be moved to another (preferably bb) tank, at which time they should be fed bbs and then graduate to beef heart and other mixes. During this precious time period, they ABSOLUTELY NEED multiple daily power feedings and WC's in order for them to grow out to beautiful specimens. A full grown, well cared for adult can easily reach 6.5"-7" and some quality show grades closer to 8".

I can give info regarding Endler's Livebearers

Females can give birth to live fry at around 6 weeks old. They can have anywhere from 1 to 30 fry every 23-28 days depending on their age/size.

Fry love baby brine shrimp.

Water temperature plays a part in what sex the fry are. Warmer water tends to produce more males.

Males begin to color up at 4-6 weeks.

I'm not sure how common this is, but I had a female platy that had 96 fry at one time.

Back
Top Bottom