How often do cories spawn/lay eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Cory laid eggs about 3 days ago. They all got white and fuzzy and never changed color so I cleaned out my 10g and got rid of the eggs. Is it possible for her to be ready to lay more eggs? I just fed them and her and two other cories are acting crazy active and just like they were before she laid her eggs earlier this week.

I find sterbai eggs about every 7-10 days. Not always from the same female though. I pull mine out and put them in a breeder box with cherry shrimp. They can't eat the eggs but they constantly are cleaning them. I hardly get any that turn fuzzy. Try it, it works great

My Cory laid eggs about 3 days ago. They all got white and fuzzy and never changed color so I cleaned out my 10g and got rid of the eggs. Is it possible for her to be ready to lay more eggs? I just fed them and her and two other cories are acting crazy active and just like they were before she laid her eggs earlier this week.

It depends how many you have. If you have a group of 6 then maybe every 7 days by different females.

It depends how many you have. If you have a group of 6 then maybe every 7 days by different females.

It's a group of 4 that's spawning. I have a total of 8 cories; 4 bronze and 4 peppered.

My corys just laid eggs and I don't know what to do. Some of them have been eaten already. Some eggs were laid on my thermometer so I can remove that easily; I just dont know where I would put it? What is methyl blue?

Methylene blue is a common fungicide. Don't treat the corys with it just the eggs.

I don't hjave another tank to put the eggs in that I would be be able to treat separately... There are about 80 eggs so I am not sure if they will eat them all...I made a certain batch of eggs completely inaccessible to the corys...If I get a few frys, how do I feed them? Will the corys eat them once they hatch?

Collect the eggs and place in a clean container. A plastic disposable bowl with no soap residue. I even scrub new ones as they sometimes have a film of somekind of chemical I mix a drop in an 8 oz tumbler and eye dropper some into the collection container with eggs. I do only 20 - 30 at a time so I just use an 8 oz plastic tumbler to hatch then use a larger one to house the fry for the first couple of weeks changing the container so that I can clean it daily.
Treat eggs for just a day or so.

Last edited:
I've used this with C. pygmaeus, C. weitztmani, C. simillis and C. paleatus. It's easier to keep the eggs clean and the very young fry once they hatch. With the fry I have several containers on hand and switch them out every day. I drain out most of the water and detritus carefully then pour the fry into the new one. I treat the used container with a 10% chlorox solution and let sit a day before rinsing out followed by another day or so of drying. By then most or all of the chlorox residue is gone. You can treat with a dechlorinator to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom