how to breed neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
i'd like to breed some of my neons, but the only info i can find is, "put a male and female in a breeding tank, slowly increase the amount of light"

has anyone here done this? any pointers?

Here's a quick paraphrase from one of Axelrod's books:
Very soft (R/O or distilled would be best) water, pH 6.5, very clean tank (5 gallons is big enough) and fine-leaved plants (java moss is good), temp 75. Plants should be cleaned by dipping for 5 minutes in a solution of 1 Tbsp powdered alum dissolved in 1 quart of distilled water.
Condition the fish for spawning, live or frozen foods, until the female is very plump, and place a pair in the breeding tank. Don't feed them in the breeding tank. Remove them if they haven't spawned within 2 days, and feed some more. Keep trying until they spawn in the breeding tank.
After they spawn, remove them and cover the tank (complete darkness) for 24 hours. No direct light until the fry are free-swimming. Feed the fry bbs or microworms.
Good Luck :wink:

thanks todd (and becka?) didnt think anyone was going to answer this

any idea how to get water soft, use aquarium salt?

I tried the water softener pillow from kent Marine I think, in my 55 gallon tank. It was not rated for a tank that large but it did drop the hardness a little. After that I just got RO/DI water. It was only 30 cents/gallon at the LFS and the water softener pillows were 12 or so (rechargeable with solution that you have to buy). For the money I would say to go with RO/DI as that is what I would do now. I don't know how hard your water is or how big your main tank is, but I think they like pretty soft water. I would change maybe as much as half depending on the size of the tank to lower the hardness by half.

toddnbecka said:
You could buy distilled water if you don't R/O available, or collect rainwater.

i thought you werent suppose to use distilled water with fish? i remember my bio teacher saying that a fish cant get electrocuted in distilled water, but it wouldnt matter because it cant live in distilled water either

toddnbecka, (or anyone else) andy idea how long the male and female have to be together for before they're ready?

Back
Top Bottom