I have more babies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
woke up this morning and feed my fish and looked in there and thought maybe one of my molly fry had died or was not doing well (he looked kinda pale) only to discover that I think my platy had babies last night! I was thinking that she might be preggie but then decided that she was not. haha! guess I was wrong! I have at least one left... I know there were two this morning but as soon as I found the second one he got gobbled up! :eek:

How many babies do platies usually have?? Hope this little guy is smart. I have a platy, a molly, and cherry barbs in there. how long do you think before they are no longer fish food? I also have molly fry in there, but think they are safe from them. :lol:

I am so excited!!

One little platy fry

Attachments

• image-1946319608.jpg
    image-1946319608.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 98
They can have 20-30 on average, but it varies a lot. Younger parents usually have less.

If you find one or two, there are probably 2 or 3 x as many if there are hiding places in the tank.

They can have 20-30 on average, but it varies a lot. Younger parents usually have less.

If you find one or two, there are probably 2 or 3 x as many if there are hiding places in the tank.
that would be so exciting! I keep looking and I can only find one :confused: I don't know where the others are. I hope they all didn't get gobbled up! I saw one that was consumed by one of my cherry barbs. he was trying to make it back up to the top to hide but was not fast enough! I will keep looking for more. I guess it could be possible that only one survived but if that is the case I doubt he will make it

Congrats!!! They probably have been eaten but mine had 45 in her first batch :)

thought I lost them all, but I still saw one today. I think either she didn't have many or they all were eaten. you would think there would be more. I had lots with the molly. hopefully this one will survive. how long before they are safe from the cherry barbs and the molly? her mouth seems kinda big!

so excited!! I saw at least 3 today - maybe there really is a few more in there than I thought. I guess either they are harder to see than the molly fry or they hide better. either way - glad there are a few more in there than just the one!

I would buy a fish breeder net so the babies can feel more safe. I have 41 baby black mollies! They are all still alive because of that breeding net!

well you would never believe it... I thought for sure they had all been eaten. I even made a note in my aquaplanner that they were all gone on 27 Jan. so guess what we saw yesterday! yep you guessed it!! one cute little orange baby!! yay!! I am so excited. that little guy survived! he must be quite the hider - guess he needed to be. I have looked closely every day but never see him in there until yesterday. so now he must be like 1.5 months old. so cute!!

he seems to be getting braver. when are they no longer bite sized?

Back
Top Bottom