i want to breed my bristlenose catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Forbz

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a male and female bristlenose catfish and am wanting to get some fry ( males name is bristly and females name is smiley ) at the moment they are about 50 mm long.

at the present time they are in a 30 g with 4 swordtails , 4 panchaxs, a mollie and a flying fox.

specifically for them they have driftwood to play with and a small ceramic cave.

what are the chances of breeding them, and what are my best possibilities of getting some fry? any ideas will be greatly appreciated :) thanks

At 50mm they are still a little small. When they get larger, feed them well, and esnsure they have a cave with only one entrance so the male can trap the female in there. Temprature doesn't sem to be much of a factor, as they don't need really warm water to breed.

ohh okay. the temperature is at 25 degrees Celsius, i bought a little breeding house for them, its only got one entrance, and none of the other fish enter, so i presume it should b perfect :) thanks for your input :)

thanks :) i saw the female waiting half in last night for the male, and when the male came near , the female moved and scared the male away. this happened about 4 times lol. Yes i was there watching them for a while without them knowing.

normally its the other way around. the male cleans the cave and hangs half way out. gets a male trapped inside then she releases eggs he fertilize them and kicks her out. he will fan the eggs and keep them in his cave until they hatch and grow some.

haha my fish are confusing. im sure the bigger one is female, because it doesnt have any bristles. except some side whiskers that sometimes pop out. the smaller one has actual bristles around his mouth that are small but visible.

hopefully they breed soon :) ill keep you all posted :)

haha that would be right,trying to breed 2 males, or 2 females. nah they're completely different looking but still bristlenoses. and both have different growth rates.

Iv got a pair that have laid eggs before behind the filter but then all the eggs disappeared with no fry. I think the barbs got stuck into the fry. They have now dug a hole in the sand under some rocks. will let you know what happens with mine as well.

Back
Top Bottom