Just had babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumberman306

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Female guppy just had babies. She's all done and have moved her back to main tank. Do I have enough cover in this tank to protect them from the six Neon Tetras that are in the tank?

Attachments

• image-2313491787.jpg
    image-2313491787.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 92
I think it is safe to say that they have plenty cover! That tank looks great, by the way.

Removed the tetras just in case. Any advice on feed for the new fry?

Finely crushed flakes, newly hatched brine shrimp, or hikari first bites (or other powdered food designed for very young fish) all work fine.

I agree, it looks like they have plenty of cover from potential predators. And I always feed my fry finely crushed flake food.

Should I leave the light on all the time for them or turn it off at night like I do with the other fish?

Lumberman306 said:
Should I leave the light on all the time for them or turn it off at night like I do with the other fish?

Turn it off at night. Even baby fish need a night/day cycle. Feed them more often than the other fish, though. Three times a day at least, small amounts though. And the more water changes the better!

If I change the water, wont I suck up the fry, or is there a special way to do it?

Lumberman306 said:
If I change the water, wont I suck up the fry, or is there a special way to do it?

If I put a filter or mesh over the tube opening, I won't get any particles picked up either?

Small particles will still get vacuumed up if you put some mesh over it. Just try to avoid the fry. Most are smart enough to avoid the siphon anyway. The main thing is to just suck up as much water as you can to keep it good and clean. Clean water with no nitrates can really help speed up growth in fry. It is also believed that growing fish can emit a hormone that stunts growth in other fry to help the fish compete for food and such, and this hormone would be removed during water changes as well. Not so sure if this is true for all fish, or even true at all, but it's definitely true that fish grow faster with frequent water changes.

Did a water change today. There was to many fry all over the place to even consider vacuuming the gravel. They don't move out of the way and I'm to worried about sucking anyone up. There only three days old so maybe I'll give them a couple of days before I attempt it again. I am a little worried about water quality though. A day before they where born I added some plants I ordered online and there is a lot of plant material on the bottom and I'm worried about a spike of some sort killing the babies. Did a test and everything is good right now BUT. Should I just be patient for a couple of days till they get older or should I get that stuff out of there right now?

Lumberman306 said:
Did a water change today. There was to many fry all over the place to even consider vacuuming the gravel. They don't move out of the way and I'm to worried about sucking anyone up. There only three days old so maybe I'll give them a couple of days before I attempt it again. I am a little worried about water quality though. A day before they where born I added some plants I ordered online and there is a lot of plant material on the bottom and I'm worried about a spike of some sort killing the babies. Did a test and everything is good right now BUT. Should I just be patient for a couple of days till they get older or should I get that stuff out of there right now?

Don't worry too bad about vacuuming the gravel if they are in the way. Just keep changing the water out, and vacuum the gravel when you think you will be able to. If you are worried about bits of plants, perhaps try to pull some of it out by hand or with a net.

Back
Top Bottom