Longest Fry can go w/o feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsx

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got about 20 1 week old Red Platy Fry that, from birth, have been fed frozen baby Brine Shrimp 3-4 times a day, and had daily partial water changes. I'm going to take a trip this weekend, and will be gone from Friday night to Sunday night. Will they survive without feeding and water changes for 2 days?

I don't think they'd die, but I can't say "yes, they'll survive" for sure. So I'd recommend you get youself an inexpensive automatic feeder, and program it to drop the brineshrimp in as often as possible.

I certainly think they'll survive without water changes for 2 days--what sized container are they in, and is it cycled, or temporary? This is probably no big deal.

nsx...

I suspect that the little tykes will be just fine for a couple of days without being fed. If you want to use one of the automatic feeders then it certainly won't hurt.

yeah the aurmatic feeder sounds good. like all fish they can go for a lil diet. but "what they eat at the fry stage decides what they turn out to be when they grow up." lol its fun sounding smart

i got that from some movie and just put fish in there 8P. i heard ur suppose to feed them every like 6 or 12 hours. cant remember.

or maybe you could get a friend or so to feed ur fish while your gone? ive been gone for about 3 days without feeding my fish and they were fine.

but if they die, not trying to sound mean but their livebearers and there will be another time.

Right from birth I only feed my fry every other day or to.

So if their healthy, they should survive no problem

I feed my fry twice a day, but they grew from little eggs. Since your fry are livebearers, they are more developed and can probably survive a couple of days without you. Of course, all your fish will be happy to see you when you return :D

yeah i think their right. since their live bore then their more developed. thinking back i never specially fed my guppy babies. i just fed em the same stuff as the big fish. use to be flakes but now i do the bio food (forgot) from marineland. i think it has bio immune so thats good. gl on your trip :)

They're in a 5 gallon nursery tank, and it's been fully cycled for at least 3 months now. Before it was a nursery tank, it was my QT tank.

I've got an automatic feeder, but there's no way it can dispense frozen baby Brine Shrimp. I'll check to see if it can dispense the TetraMin Baby food (crushed flakes). I'm not sure if it will, since it depends on the weight of the food to drop it out.

Hmmmm, there is also a product called fry bites, but they are light weight and I'm not sure you will be able to fine them.
How old are the fry?

Back
Top Bottom