Malawi Mbuna to breed for a first time cichlid breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am planning to have a 55 gal tank with a group of Malawi Mbuna cichlids in my fishroom to breed. I need some suggestions. I will have fry tanks and tanks for holding females. Please give me some suggestions.

Mbuna as a whole are one of the easiest cichlids to breed, they are the equivalent of Amatitlania nigrofasciata. The only real difference is going to the different scales of aggression. Is this for fun or are you trying to sell the fry? If your trying to make money on malawi cichlids then I'd steer clear of mbuna and look into peacocks as they command a higher price. I've got a few tanks of peacocks such as german reds, ngara flametails, and bengas that have funded my fish room for years on their fry alone. So as with any breeding program the goal must be decided before the action plan can be started.

Mbuna as a whole are one of the easiest cichlids to breed, they are the equivalent of Amatitlania nigrofasciata. The only real difference is going to the different scales of aggression. Is this for fun or are you trying to sell the fry? If your trying to make money on malawi cichlids then I'd steer clear of mbuna and look into peacocks as they command a higher price. I've got a few tanks of peacocks such as german reds, ngara flametails, and bengas that have funded my fish room for years on their fry alone. So as with any breeding program the goal must be decided before the action plan can be started.

I'm going for selling the fry. I'm fine with peacocks as they are gorgeous. For a 55, which ones should I have and how many of each?

To prevent hybrids as any mouthbrooder with spawn will any other mouthbrooder you'll need to have species only tanks, this is vital to keep the bloodlines pure.

Last edited:
To prevent hybrids as any mouthbrooder with spawn will any other mouthbrooder you'll need to have species only tanks, this is vital to keep the bloodlines pure.

Hmm. Then what peacock would you recommend for the highest selling price with decently easy upkeep? I only have one 55 to dedicate to these fish

Look into what is popular in your area. Lemon jakes seem pretty popular everywhere as well as a good looking dragon blood. Do a 1 to 4 ratio of male to females. 79 degrees yields the best results for me with a good quality shrimp mix flake and and pellet. Make sure to ease them into it as a lot of people feed their peacocks a strictly veggie diet and throwing a meat pellet in can cause bloat. Depending on where you live and how much the lfs Wants the breed you may be able to get around 3 dollars an inch

Back
Top Bottom