Male guppy only chasing 1 female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got 1 male guppy and 5 female guppies. I heard that with more females the harrassment would be more evenly distributed, but this doesn't really appear to be the case. Once in a while he'll chase the other girls for a few seconds, but whenever he starts after his favorite girl, he'll chase her for at least a minute or 2 on end, then stop a few seconds only to start again.

Do male guppies play favorites with their females?

I dont think so but i guess its possible. How much cover is in the tank? Because adding more cover might help.

I dont think so but i guess its possible. How much cover is in the tank? Because adding more cover might help.

The plants aren't too grown in yet, but I threw in some of my softer plastic plants to float on the top corner. Will have to watch and see how it works out.

Ya, if that dosent work then i would either consider moving him out.

I know the males can sense unhealthy females. I started with two pairs of blue metallics. The males chased both females indiscriminately at first, then they only chased one of the two. The unchased one died about ten days later. She looked fine, but the fish could tell.

yep, Jim nailed it, guppies select only the best to breed with. I literally got rid of all my guppies yesterday, kept two, one male one female juve to see what happens but shhhh the wife dont know,ok shhhh.

In a sense they are smarter then humans when it comes to breeding, they pick the best one to chase and vice versa, dont think its only the males, the females play a BIG role in who knocks em up.

It sounds bad but guppies are a dime a dozen. id let nature take its course. I did and ended up with over 400 guppies being rehomed in the past 48 hours. I started with 5 females and one male much like you a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom