My angelfish just spawned this afternoon (see pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gheitman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I got home from work this evening and the first thing I noticed was that there were fish eggs on a leaf. They weren't there when I came home from lunch so my pair of angelfish must have been very busy this afternoon. They hadn't shown any unusual behavior prior to this that I could see. There was no fighting or chasing around the tank or any other signs of aggression.

This is only the second time that this pair has spawned. About three weeks ago they spawned on the intake tube of my power filter and none of the eggs survived the first night. I'm curious to see what happens this time.

I didn't do anything unusual to condition the fish either. I feed them frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms three or four times a week. The rest of the time I feed them Tetra flakes, New Life Spectrum cichlid formula, Hikari freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Attachments

• 30g0605-11.jpg
    30g0605-11.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 30g0605-12.jpg
    30g0605-12.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 128
Wow! You're angels look very happy in that beautifully planted tank! :D

Hope they get it right someday! My keyholes have spawned around then times now, and only twice they had some wigglers, which never survived first night. :roll:

The tank lights came on this morning and all of the eggs were gone. I'm disappointed but not entirely surprised. I don't know if the angelfish ate them or if it was some other fish. I guess I'll see what happens in the future.

Could've been the cories as well?

I think if you ever want to try and raise the fry yourself, you should provide them with a piece of slate.....but you probably know that :lol:

While I definitely want to try and raise the angelfish fry in a separate tank eventually, I just don't have the spare tank, or the money to buy one, available right now. I bought a new tank for my dwarf cockatoos a few weeks ago. All I will have available soon is a 10 gallon that currently has some mollies in it. Besides, I want to have the parents raise the fry themselves.

There is also the question of space to add yet another tank. I'm not saying that I absolutely don't have the space. I just haven't thought about it yet. I have a small bedroom that functions as a library and fish room for seven of my tanks. I'm stacking my tanks one on top of the other in there to save space as it is. I had to move some book shelves around to make room for my last two tanks.

I think I would need to add at least a 20 gallon high, or even a 29 gallon, tank and that may be my next tank. I am also keeping my eyes open for used tanks that become available. My LFS has a used 29 gallon tank setup for sale right now.

I think someone has MTS :D Don't worry about losing this batch. My angelfish just had their second spawning and ate their eggs as well. Also, I've provided a piece of slate in the tank, but they prefer the broad leaf of the plant right next to it. They've used it twice. I've read you should take out whatever object they are breeding on if you want to try to get them to slate, but I like that you want to let the parents raise the fry. I think they do a better job than us humans just because they won't let the weak survive to pass along genetic defects.

Back
Top Bottom