My keyhole cichlids have FRY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

About two weeks after their first attempt, I found a nice batch of eggs again this morning. I didn't see them lay their eggs this time, so I have no idea wheter they are fertilized.
If you want pictures, I can get some, but it basically looks the same as the pics in this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=42859
The eggs are in the exact same location.
Keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not too hopefull. We'll see :wink:

With each spawn, they should get better Thomas. :mrgreen:

Well, I came back home from my dads, and I saw 15-20 little wigglers in the substrate that their parents were protecting!
I'm happyyyyyy :D :D :D
I have to go eat now, more later :p

Well, they are stuck in the substrate head sort of down. Their parents must have moved them, because they are on the other side of the tank from where the eggs were.
Their tails are wiggling all the time. Their egg sacks (?) are really big compared to the body. I'm thinking it will be 3-4 days before the egg sacks are used up and they need food (and start swimming?). Enough time to go to the lfs and get some frozen baby brine shrimp.
The parents are beautifull now, fins spread wide all the time, coloration amazing, impressing everyone who looks at them (including tank mates).

It is impossible for me to photograph the fry at this point, but once they become free swimming, I will post pics.

Thanks Meredith :D

Me be happy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cool that they are learning so fast, only their second attempt now.

Fantastic Thomas. :D . You're right. About 3 days and the yolk sacs will be gone. Then the fun begins as the parents try and keep the fry from getting out of hand. Frozen bbs is an excellent first food. Dont feed until they are free swimming. :wink:

Thanks, I'll keep you guys updated on how they are doing.

Can I do water changes? Or are the fry too sensitive for that?

Should I remove my female betta? She's no trouble now, but once she sees swimming little fishies maybe she will be. Only thing is that my keyhole cichlids are scared to death of the net. I fear they may eat their fry out of stress (just a bit, I don't think they really would, but it's possible).

I'd leave it and observe. If the betta were a threat, it migh only eventuate after the fry are free swimming and can be netted themselves and moved to a seperate tank??

Gee, you've got lots of fry! (honey gourami cichlids) Reading this discussion, now i want unique fish fry. Congratulations! Sure is exciting! :p :lol: :eek:

Well, I don't know what went wrong, but the fry is gone. I think they must have been eaten by the parents or by my Chinese algae eaters. Or the water quality wasn't what it should be, since I treated my tank for cyano 2 weeks ago with half the dose of medecine that the package told me. I have not yet added carbon to the filter to remove the medecine, although I have done 2 water changes since then.

My 2 keyhole cichlids (mom and dad), are now enemies. They are chasing eachother, pecking at eachothers scales (which came off on both of them and got eaten by the chaser), biting eachothers fins, you name it, they do it......
I have no room to seperate them, so I'm going to let them have their quarrel. They have enough hiding places if it gets too rough, but it doesn't look like it will get out of hand. The male has 'won' and the female is back to her 'dominated' behaviour, as she was before they had their first batch of eggs.

Better luck next time I guess. I am dissapointed, but hey, not the end of the world, right?

I will get me a test kit soon to see if my water parameters are okey. Didn't need one before, but now I do have the urge to check them and see if anythings wrong on that level. Although I don't think so, since I've bred my white clouds and honey gouramis in the same water.

Blucat, It's not that hard to have fry, as long as you start with a simple specie, DON'T overstock your tank, and do your weekly water changes. Alongside that it is always good to have some easy growing plants, they are almost always beneficial to your water quality. And offcourse buy your fish from a store that keeps them healthy and without disease.

I'll keep you updated on my attempts once I have free swimming fry. I'm not going to keep bothering you with eggs that hatch or not and fry that get's eaten after day 1.
:p

Thomas, this isn't unusual with the first few spawns. Sometimes there aren't enough fry to keep the parents interested. The hatchings should get progressively larger with experience and the pair will settle down to business. I do think you'll have better results if you isolate them. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom