My platy had babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm excited and concerned at the same time. I was away all weekend, so i didnt see it til today. Well anyways, when I checked them this morning I seen a fry swimming around. I caught it and put it in my isolation tank. I spent a few hours looking around my tank and didn't see anymore. Just when I was about to leave for work I seen another one but it swam away so fast I don't know where it went. I looked for like an hour and couldn't find it again. I had to leave for work. So I'll be away for 8 hours and I'm really hoping since I couldn't find it maybe the other fish won't find it. I'm just really hoping the little guy survives til I make it back.

Stock: 6 platys
2 zebra snails
1 cory

It is planted and I have a huge coral bubbler in the middle.

Baby platies

Hi,
I remember how excited I was when I first started out fishkeeping, like many people with Platies, and found a lot of baby fry swimming about! They were quite savvy and hid inside an internal filter that the adults could not get into, so if you have such a place check there first as I am fairly sure that there should be a few around. If you find any you will have to make sure the adults can't get at them,have you a very small tank,or I think that you can get a plastic tank that floats in the main tank?
I do not know much about raising them, but I believe that Livebearer fry can take powdered food immediately and love Brine Shrimp.
I hope that has helped, and you find more.

My platys regularly give birth: just last night I counted four new fry. My pet store should stop ordering platys and just use me. :)

Platys aren't too aggressive at eating fry, and those little devils are good at finding cover until they're big enough to "come out and play." If you have any plants at all, they know the best spots. They'll also find their own food, too, if the tank is mature. I've fed Hikari micro-pellets to my community tank knowing some would reach the fry.

One thing to remember: even if you have no males in the tank, a female can produce several "litters" until she runs out of stored sperm. So, you're likely to see more.

My platys regularly give birth: just last night I counted four new fry. My pet store should stop ordering platys and just use me. :)

Platys aren't too aggressive at eating fry, and those little devils are good at finding cover until they're big enough to "come out and play." If you have any plants at all, they know the best spots. They'll also find their own food, too, if the tank is mature. I've fed Hikari micro-pellets to my community tank knowing some would reach the fry.

One thing to remember: even if you have no males in the tank, a female can produce several "litters" until she runs out of stored sperm. So, you're likely to see more.
Well the one that I have in the isolation tank I fed it flakes. But when I get home I'm going to try to find the other one. I think I have 2 pregnant platys so I'm not sure which one gave birth. The tank is matured so they should be okay. I didn't know how small they would be! I could barely see them!

Back
Top Bottom