Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My Rams laid eggs

I have two Electric Blue Ram cichlids in my 20 gallon community tank, and a few hours ago I discovered they were guarding some eggs that are sitting in a depression in one of my decorations. I've never bred cichlids, or any fish for that matter, what should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	303896  

Old 09-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you can't remove the eggs and artificially hatch then they will likely be eaten.Let the parents do their thing now and see how it goes.The parents are the most likely to eat the eggs as new parents.Many pairs need several spawns before they get it close to right.
If they hatch the others in tanks will likely stress the parents into eating them or will eat them themselves..
I offer a terra cotta pot bottom[tray] for the rams to lay eggs on.Place it right where they laid them sfter this is over and hopefully they will use it.
Then we discuss artificially hatching....
Nice looking EBR...

coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
If you can't remove the eggs and artificially hatch then they will likely be eaten.Let the parents do their thing now and see how it goes.The parents are the most likely to eat the eggs as new parents.Many pairs need several spawns before they get it close to right.
If they hatch the others in tanks will likely stress the parents into eating them or will eat them themselves..
I offer a terra cotta pot bottom[tray] for the rams to lay eggs on.Place it right where they laid them sfter this is over and hopefully they will use it.
Then we discuss artificially hatching....
Nice looking EBR...
Thanks, believe it or not both of them are from petco. Considering the bumblebee gobies I have the fry will likely get eaten

Tags
egg, ram cichlid

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com