mystery snail eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I woke up this morning and noticed a clutch of eggs above the water line I'm guessing it was my snails since their the only ones who could get out of the water. I've never bred mystery snails before how long untill they hatch do I need to do anything special? Has anyone bred snails before?

shadyfish said:
I woke up this morning and noticed a clutch of eggs above the water line I'm guessing it was my snails since their the only ones who could get out of the water. I've never bred mystery snails before how long untill they hatch do I need to do anything special? Has anyone bred snails before?

Following, since my mystery snails just mated. How long after they mated did the clutch of eggs show up?

I can't be sure I've seen them tangled up several times in the last month

You need to keep the eggs damp but not submerged. If you've got a lot of condensation in your tank you should be ok. The last time I had mystery snails, one out of four egg clutches hatched. It was the clutch that was in the dampest corner of the hood. There were a ton of little snails, but my fish decided they liked the taste of newly hatched mysteries and none survived.

I'm hoping my GSP will like the younger ones, along with the pond snails I got from some plants in my QT.

I was wondering, if a regular orange shelled MS and a black shelled MS mate are they're going to be some kind of hybrid, or just a mix of orange and black (hey! SF Giants colors lol) snails?

Ok I just found another clutch my hood had areas open where the hob filter was and another opening on my second hood I took trash bags and placed the hoods on top of them creating a poor man's weather seal at least hopefully it would be cool to have a bunch of snails cleaning up but I think the bichir or dat will probally snatch them up

Yea all my snails are golden is there any chance of them being diffrent colors or will they all be golden

I know that the female can hang onto sperm for a month before she drops eggs and that eggs hatch typically in 2-3 weeks but I've never heard of what will happen if you cross colors. Interesting...

Back
Top Bottom