Mystery snail laying eggs... HELP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my mystery snail that I've had for maybe 2.5-3 weeks has decided to start laying eggs at the top of my 55gal tank. I really didn't want to have a ton of baby snails in my tank, because snail infestations are terrible (in my mind) and I really want to avoid clown loaches because the bottom levels of my tank are all filled out.
Anyway, I took the first clutch out (which was about the size of a baby-corn) and put it in my empty 20gal. I put it in there late Friday, and just got back from a trip today. Not sure how many of the babies will survive after being submerged that long. My brother found a second, smaller clutch today. I removed them from the tank the same way you would with any hard shelled egg, and used a dull razor blade to remove them.
I now have them in a small, plastic container lined with wet paper towels. The only thing I've heard about raising mystery snail babies is that they need to be kept in a warm, humid (but not submerged) environment.. and that there's a better success rate when you don't move them, which wasn't really an option for me since these weren't planned or exactly wanted but I don't want to kill them all. Might as well give 'em a chance at life.

Does anyone have any experience with raising snails? I'd really like some help and general information. Also, do any petstores buy them? I'd like keep a few for my 4 tanks, but I don't want 1000 snails haha.

Most likely pet stores will buy them on consignment. Don't expect a fortune though. I'd feed the babies blanched veggies like zucchini and maybe some brine shrimp and spirulina tablets. Maybe raise them in a 2.5 gal with an airstone?

I certainly wasn't expecting a fortune, it'll just be a relief to have somewhere to give them to. haha.
I'll probably go out and buy a tiny little tank for whatever survives this hatching and future fry.
Thanks for the tips! And yeah, I have "accident" pond snails in my 5gal and they love their zucchini, and I love to trap them on zucchini. ;)

Back
Top Bottom