Need baby fish help!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just discovered 3 baby fish in my plant scrap bucket! I believe they are killifish. They are very small, I tried to feed they baby brine shrimp and they can't/ wont eat them. what should I feed them? I don't have any circulation in the bucket right now, do I need any? I have an old air pump and an air stone if that would help. I do have a heater and a light on the bucket right now.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110611_112037.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110611_112037.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 144
  • ForumRunner_20110611_112118.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110611_112118.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 132
what are the potential parents from your tank? circulation is almost a must, or daily / half-daily water changes minimum.

food... tried very finely powdered fish flakes? tetramin stuff for fry? how old do you think they are?

The dad looks like this.... my dad is forcing me to go on a bike ride so I hope they are alive when I get back.

Attachments

• Australe.jpg
    Australe.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 124
I am 80% sure that is the dad. The male and the female have been chasing eachother around a lot latley and they have been mating, but I think all the other fry has been eaten by other fish in the tank. And these 3 fish were lucky enough to tsetse scooped out with the plants.

Edit: I can go buy anything you tell me to. After the forced bike ride (the bike ride will take a few hours)

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
this the first spawning?

From what I have read killifish are continues sponers (they lay like 3 eggs a day). So I don't think so I think it is just the.first fry that I have seen.

Ok bike ride done. What should I buy to freed them? And how much water should I replace a day? (It is a 5 leter ice cream bucket). And what should I use for water movement?

an airline would help. They probably need infusoria/greenwater if they are really small. Maybe supplement with microworms or vinegar eels. If you have any plants like moss or something that helps also.

jetajockey said:
an airline would help. They probably need infusoria/greenwater if they are really small. Maybe supplement with microworms or vinegar eels. If you have any plants like moss or something that helps also.

I have never used microworms or vinigar eels, were do I get them?

jetajockey said:

And the bucket has lots of plants in it.

Bad news... I can't find the babies :(. I know for.sure one of them is dead (I saw the little carcass). And I can't find the other 2. R.I.P. little killifish :(. If you guys will still answer those above questions that would be great (for future reference)

you'll get more if you can find them. You have a gourgeous male there. I breed the golden wonders and th aphiniuos mento. you definatly may need some micro worms if they dont eat the bbs.

I believe its Hikari that makes Fry food called First Bites, and its the same consistency as powder. When I feed my Fry, I just dip the end of a tooth pick into the water, then dip into the powder, and dip back into the water.

GrimmGoby said:
I believe its Hikari that makes Fry food called First Bites, and its the same consistency as powder. When I feed my Fry, I just dip the end of a tooth pick into the water, then dip into the powder, and dip back into the water.

I went to the lfs and that is what they told me to get. Bit they don't carry it, so I will have to look around to find some.

fishfanatic said:
I went to the lfs and that is what they told me to get. Bit they don't carry it, so I will have to look around to find some.

Have you checked online? Idk if they sell it online, but I'm sure they do.

you can accomplish the same thing by taking pellets or flakes and grinding them in a mortar and pestle. Or putting them in a bag and smashing the crap out of them with a hammer or some other heavy blunt object.

Boiled egg yolk works also but use it very sparingly.

Live foods are best, though, they don't foul up the water nearly as fast, and some fish seem to be picky about foods and only go for stuff that wiggles.

Back
Top Bottom