New Betta Breeder,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EnigmaticBETTA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Comencing a Betta Breeding Project Next Week( Week of 5/21/12).

I Already Have:
-Spawning Tank
-Sponge Filters
-Indian Almond Leafs
-Brine Shrimp Hatchery
-MicroWorms
-Infusoria
-Heater (80-82*F)
-Healthy Breeders(Dragon Scale Male, Crowntail Femail)

Anyone have any last key points?

i dont know if you know but you will need to seperat the female in the tank for a week by putting her in something clear so the male can see her and get aquainted. put a 1/2 of a styrafoam cup in there for him to build his bubble nest under after he dose this then you can release the female. and its game on. keep an eye on her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, thanks, I have the almond leaf for the male to build his bubble nest under, but yea I was going to aquaint them after having the male in the tank for a day, but I will keep them together seperately for a week, thanks for the advice Bob.

Yea, thanks, I have the almond leaf for the male to build his bubble nest under, but yea I was going to aquaint them after having the male in the tank for a day, but I will keep them together seperately for a week, thanks for the advice Bob.

I was watching some videos of Bettas being bred in Thailand and they don't use the almond leaf for spawning. They used it for conditioning the water they would spawn the fish in. (For what that's worth ;)) You can Google " Betta Breeding in Thailand" to watch the Utube videos.

I breed Bettas this way:
Tank with no filter-Covered to keep humidity in, water 80-82 degrees, Water height- no more than 6 inches. (I use anything from clear shoe box trays to bowls to glass tanks for spawning tanks. The water height is what's more important.)
Male loose in tank- Female in glass jar, I use a piece of Romain lettuce leaf roughly 2" square for the male to build his nest. ( As the lettuce starts to deteriorate, infusoria cultures begin to happen.)
Assuming your fish have been conditioned, Males build nest within 24-36 hours, Females show breeding colors almost immediately, If female does not "challenge" the male when he flairs at her, she is most likely not ready for breeding. (My females flair their gill plates right back at the males.)
If all signs point to a compatible pair, I release the female in the morning.
I've had spawns happen as quickly as 45 minutes after introduction to 7 days later. (Note that if the male is highly aggressive, I will put the females back in the jar at night for their protection.)

Rearing fry:
At about 7-10 days old, I start a sponge filter with very little air (Fry are very sensitive to water movement.) I seed the sponge prior to using it to have a "cycled" filter instantly.

From this point on, it's feeding and careful water changes to get them to grow.

Feel free to PM me if you need more help with these fish (y)

Where are you keeping the male and female when they're not spawning?

Surprise....

You will need some 1/2 gallon jars to keep some babies ! :) HTH

For those who have been following my posts, you'll be surprised to see me write that this is one of those times where you don't want to use smaller containers to raise up the fry. :eek: :D
Bettas can have rather large spawns and the common belief is that some will release a hormone to stunt the growth of their brothers and sisters. This is one of those times where you want to raise the fry in relatively larger volumes of water so that the fish aren't as effected by the hormone.
Once the fry have reached a decent size, you can then, if you choose, place 1 in a 1/2 gal (preferrably a 1 gal) container to continue growing out.

Hope this didn't shock too many people :D:D:lol:(y)

Back
Top Bottom