New to breeding platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silvercloud

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I was just wondering if you guys could tell me how close to giving birth my platy is, or correct me if she isn’t even gravid, so I will post a picture, thanks! - SilverIMG_0001.jpg

Hello Sil...

You don't need to examine the fish. That way can be way off the actual time. You just need to pay particular attention to the tank water. Gradually work up to the point you remove and replace most of it every week. When you change it, make the new water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. I always use a little standard aquarium salt to my Platys, replacement water. A rounded teaspoon for every 5 gallons of treated tap water. The warmer, pure water and salt combination will ease the stress on a pregnant female and encourages her to drop the fry when the water is extremely clean.

B

Hello I was just wondering if you guys could tell me how close to giving birth my platy is, or correct me if she isn’t even gravid, so I will post a picture, thanks! - SilverView attachment 310100

Judging from the photo, I don't think she's very close (the gravid spot isn't that dark, her belly isn't greatly distended), but it's not an exact measure. In my experience (my original five have bread so readily, I'm taking their great-grandfry to the store), give them plenty of good, high protein food, somewhat hard water (LA water is like liquid rock), and places for the newborn to hide. She'll do the rest.

Make sure any filters have pre-filters on them unless you are already using sponge filters.
Freshwater, good food, and soon you will have more than you can deal with. I love platies. They come is such a beautiful rainbow of colours.

Back
Top Bottom