Platy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyKisses

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 12 platy fry that are two months old. Since they were born, they have been in a breeding net that floats in my 29 gallon aquarium. I got them a 2 1/2 gallon nursery tank today, because they are still so small. I figure that they may grow faster with more room. My question is, should I use a filter? Just an air pump? Will it be safe to put a small pleco in with them? I love these little guys, and want them all to make it! I will be doing 50% water changes daily, to keep it as clean as possible. Any advice will help!

At 2 months they should be a lot bigger than what a breeding net can support. The tank you're planning on keeping them in will become to small in short order. Get yourself a 10 gallon, and yes, filter it. You don't want an algae eater in a new tank as there will not be enough algae in it. Depending on the kind of Pleco, it will most likely require a larger tank anyway. Otos will work better, in due time.

David

They are still really tiny. I have a 2 1/2 gallon, 10 gallon, 29 gallon, and 55 gallon. The only ones I have going are the 2 1/2 gallon and 29 gallon. I will try to post pictures of the fry. They aren't even 3x the size they were at birth.

Thank you for the advice! It was helpful! We don't have a fish store where I live, so I will have to wait until we go out of town to get one.

I removed the live plants, so I could get you a decent pic. They look bigger then they are in the pic. There is only about 1/4 of the breeding box shown. One pic is a close up of one of the 3 fry that I moved, the other is of the whole tank(you can see a tiny fry in the middle.

image-2460748014.jpg

image-478172299.jpg

image-3879925598.jpg

Yes, I went ahead and set it up today. The fry are still in the 2 1/2 gallon, until the 10 gallon cycles. I took some filter media from my 29 gallon and put it in the new filter. I'm not sure how long it will take to cycle, but I want to give them a good home!

Yes, I went ahead and set it up today. The fry are still in the 2 1/2 gallon, until the 10 gallon cycles. I took some filter media from my 29 gallon and put it in the new filter. I'm not sure how long it will take to cycle, but I want to give them a good home!
With my 15g, I took a cycled internal filter and added my 50+ 10day old fry straight to the tank. Your filter should have enough BB to cover the waste produced from the 12 platy fry. As your fry grow, the BB will grow to cover the waste. I have mine running for nearly 4wks now and tested everyday for 2wks and never had any Ammonia or Nitrites. I have not lost a single fry from that tank either. I would say your ok to add the fry to the 10g and keep testing daily and if you notice any Ammonia, Nitrites, you can always move them back. I would honestly think they'll be fine. Remember, the longer you run the 10g without anything in it, any BB in the filter will start to die off.

I didn't know about the bb dying off!!! I will go ahead and move them over in the morning! I already turned all the lights off for the night( they need their beauty sleep!) lol

I didn't know about the bb dying off!!! I will go ahead and move them over in the morning! I already turned all the lights off for the night( they need their beauty sleep!) lol
Yeah it'll be grand until tomorrow. Just remember to kept testing the water for about 2wks, just to be sure but you'll be fine. Best of luck with the little guys/gals!!!!

Back
Top Bottom