Platy Fry with no males?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was checking on the conditon of my Betta (another thread), when I happened to notice at the top of my tank between my Amazon Sword leaves and Anubias strands, a tiny fry!

I have a single platy female in the tank, I had another male and female, but they died 2 months ago during an Ick outbreak. I've heard of Guppies being able to store sperm for months, but havent heard the same about platies. I don't have a breeder cage or anything of that sort, So i'm inclined to let him fend for himself, and hope for the best. I started looking around my tank, but havent seen any other Fry, but my Platy does have a large belly, but it could be because she just ate. Whats the best way to give food to the fry? do grounded up flake foods work?

Yes they can store sperm much like guppies. I had one platy drop 3 batches before I gave her away, and she was separated from males for 3 months!

Finely crushed flakes work fine. Platy fry can eat pretty much anything as long as it fits in their mouth. I like using decapped brine shrimp eggs or microworms if you have them. Baby brine shrimp is also awesome. You can also buy Hikari First Bites. I would add lots of java moss into your tank, and even dead oak leaves. Those will give cover for the fry as well as food ;)

Back
Top Bottom