Please help with platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I moved my pregnant platy into the breeding trap today. I had one previous successful drop with her- (my first babies) and last time she took to the trap just fine. This time, not so good. When I put her in, she started 'breathing' in and out very rapidly and her tail was clamped.

I thought of releasing her because I knew she might miscarry. But I know I have zero chance of saving her young ones if she gives birth in the tank. My barbs are so ferocious that they will eat every single fry. I figured it might be better to chance it in the trap. I've had four drops in the tank and never saved a single fry.

Well, its an hour later. Her tail is no longer clamped, and her breathing is not quite so rapid, but still too fast. Most troubling though, are four large salmon-colored round things in the trap. Are these miscarried eggs? I am trying to decide what to do. I am hoping she may hang on to just a few babies. I will turn off the light in the tank and keep out of the room entirely, then check in a few hours. Does this sound like a plan? Is there anything else I can do? Should I just give up?

Are there any experienced fish breeders out there to tell me what to do?

It sounds like it may be miscarried fry in the breeder's trap sorry to say. Do you have a tank divider you could give her part of the tank for herself and the fry?

I wouldn't fret just yet. I've had molly births where I had a few miscarried eggs, underdeveloped babies, and still had live fry... I even had a live siamese twin ones once in the same litter... so maybe when she calms down she'll give normal babies. I personally don't keep my fish in the traps because I tried that once... they weren't very happy with me ^^; Do you maybe have another place to put the platy? I lately have been just letting my mollies have their fry out in the tank despite my gouramis and stuff and I just made sure it was heavily planted and I still get some fry out of it.

Back
Top Bottom