possible eggsacks of unknown nature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorcat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:?: I recently purchased some new plants for my aquarium. 2 hours later, I discovered what appears to be eggsacks in the folliage. They appear as small, burnt rice with three prongs protruding from them that link them to the plant. I know that the natural place for many species of aquatic life are the folliage in the tank. I however have the feeling that these are either shark or some sort of pest's eggsack, since I have never seen freshwater sharks eggs, I cannot tell, but fear that it is these, or some pest's eggsack. What came to mind, when I saw them was a shark's eggsack that I saw on sale at the Smithsonian, only the size of a grain of uncooked rice. I feel alarmed but don't know what to do. 8O :?:

Sounds to me like they are snail eggs. Many times at the pet store, they have snails mixed with plants and they will lay eggs in the plants. Unless you want TONS of snails, I would take them out and give them a thorough rinse through.....

I only can hope that they are snails, as water fleas or beetles would just plain tick me off. I've never seen sacks of that colour, yet have yet to experience the mystery or rams head breeds. Perhaps my hatchets, danios, cory, upsid edown, or pleco and red eyes will eat them? The anticipation is great, as I love to watch them eat live bugs. P. S., can they be possibly harmed by their intended prey?

Hmmm. Three prong'd burnt rice-looking pods attached to the plants? I'd yank the plants and get as much of them off as you can.

Usually snail eggs are laid in a gelatinous wad with tiny white specks inside, or some snails lay a white rigid disc that is glued to surfaces. Maybe QTOFFER will come along and provide an opinion, he's had aphids!

Back
Top Bottom