Possible feeding solution for fry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralbandit

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have received some of the best advice going on breeding fish.
A lot from members here!:thanks:
So it would seem my major problem is feeding as often as needed in the first weeks,as I may work well over 12 hour days.
So I thought of this?
A container(for me a 2ltr brine shrimp hatcher),with "a days worth of food" in it and an air bubbler to keep all from settling and being "dosed" all too soon.
Then I would just need to adjust flow from "said container" to dispense completely in aprox 16 hours by gravity drip(from what would be the air inlet on the hatcher).
This could work?
I will try this regardless eventually but wonder if any one else ever thought of a live food fry feeder before????
Is this what could improve my survival rates for my GBR(my almost scaled Everest!)?

Thanks Andy!
You always help!
I think I have seen them before.
I am not only feeding BBS but thinking more on the lines of vinegar eels or microwrms and a "prepared mix" suspended in the bottle by the air bubbles and just gravity dripped to only one tank.
IMO this would not be hard to use on multiple tanks or separate bottles for each tank.
I mostly feed freshwater cultured live foods and prepared and frozen and figured they could stay "fresh/good" for the day until they dripped into the fry tanks?
Auto fry feeding I am on to it I think?
many do similar for feeding Anthias in the marine field.

Ok. Just thought this might help.
I think the drip method you mentioned then would probably be the answer. As long as you are rationing the amount of food to be the total amount for that 12 hour period anyway, it really shouldn't matter if more gets in at one point then another. By the end of the drip, all the food should have been put into the tank. At least, that's how I'm thinking. :blink: Good luck with this and let us know how it works out. (y)

I love this idea cb! I am in the same boat as well. I only get to feed my fry once sometimes twice a day because of work hours. Something like this could be truly beneficial and help my fry grow faster.

Version one installed and feeding GBR fry as we speak(I type)errr,well you know?:facepalm:
Seems easy enough as I just used airline tubing with a valve in it I used to drip acclimate fish.
I place airstone in the hatcher and with powder, vinnegar eels ,and micro worms and clean water it is easy to see this should work!
It is still version one as I may make or find improvements but as a start up unit it will feed my fry while I work my but off!:brows:

Keep tinkering... I use a similar style self made doo hicky majig feeder gadget for my bbs. Works well. Just rotate and flush the line often. Especially the valve. You can smell the summit, cant ya.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Version one installed and feeding GBR fry as we speak(I type)errr,well you know?:facepalm:
Seems easy enough as I just used airline tubing with a valve in it I used to drip acclimate fish.
I place airstone in the hatcher and with powder, vinnegar eels ,and micro worms and clean water it is easy to see this should work!
It is still version one as I may make or find improvements but as a start up unit it will feed my fry while I work my but off!:brows:

Post some pics when you get things more confirmed. Would love to see it. :D(y)

OK day one down and not all water was dripped(about 1/2).
The fry seem like they are "better" today compared to my previous attempts .
My days are long and not pre planned(we stay till completion of our task),so having even some food being offered has to improve my survival rate.
I will post pics of this as it is so easy there is no way I or even Poppa thought of this.
I am adding my dry mix(golden pearls,astaxathin powder,decap BS eggs,and HBH fry food ) with live vinegar eels and microworms!.I can see them all swirling in the water column of the 2 liter bottle so this is how it will be done.
I am sure I could make a version to last all week ,but think the daily fresh live food and fresh water are key.
I am also on auto water change mode with an airstone in tank and a bucket kept at proper level to never cause trouble(just pull equall volume added by feeder!
I am happy so far!

So I don't drain all the water out of the 2 litre bottle but so far without any other feedings the fry in the 5 g seem to lasting longer and are still in higher numbers !
Got 1 set of wigglers and new eggs developing to further this exerimnet possibly this weekend.

Fry come and go all too fast(for me).
This system works and I have made the drip move a little faster.
I now with my remaining fry from latest batch am feeding 3 x daily and changing over 50% daily with the water (6 liters plus) coming from feeder and rest from me.
I wish I had some different fry to try this with as the GBR are too difficult to no end IMO.
When I get my 10 g breeder wall all set up this will be the feeding system and I will post the pics of the set up!

Back
Top Bottom