Pregnant Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreaknyc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi There....

Haven't been on the forum in a LONG time. Glad to be back!

Anyway, I have a question about a seemingly pregnant angel I have. It's belly is engorged and has been for more than a month! Is this normal? When it's "resting" it does so upside down - I'm assuming because of the swollen belly. Now I thought it was dying at first, but it totally rights itself when I go to feed the tank and eats voraciously and then goes back to it's "resting" position. Can anyone advise me as to what might be the best thing to do if to do anything at all?

Appreciate all the help! ;)

Rod

(profile has information about my tank)

Is it blotted? have you tried feeding it a blanched peeled pea? thats the strangest angel behavior Ive ever heard of!! 8O 8O

Have to agree with greenmaji. That is indeed strange behaviour. A couple of questions come to mind:

How long have you had the angel?
What was the period of time between when you got it and this behaviour beginning?
What are the tanks parameters (NH3, NO2, NO3 and ph)?

I see you are a fellow New Yorker...that's cool! Welcome back to AA!!!!

The behavior IS weird huh? I've had tanks for a long while growing up and NEVER seen an angel (or any fish for that matter) gestate as long as this one. It's a large angel fish that was given to me (as a breeding pair) over a year ago. They are in great shape, but the female seems to not want to lay her eggs. Do fish, like some other animals, have the ability to hold off egg-laying if they feel the circumstances aren't ideal? Probably sounds weird, but just curious.

As for all my tank numbers, they are fine. Nitrates/ites, ph, ammonia, are fine. All the other fish in the tank are great. Plants are in good condition.

This is totally strange for me. The angel behaves fine, but is just bloated like a &%^$^ and won't deliver!

Back
Top Bottom