Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2003, 09:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

pregnant golden barb question

How does it give birth?
What should I watch for?
It looks so fat it might burst

Old 07-07-2003, 04:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

go here

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/goldbarb.htm

for more info

Old 01-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #3

Not to hijack the thread, but my female tiger barbs look FAT, which I assume means theyve got eggs. How do I induce spawning?

Would I have to have a tank I can move them into in order to keep the eggs from being eaten, or would a little plastic 'breeding cup' work (like that hangs on the rim of the aquarium.)

I checked the link posted above (obviously looked at the tiger section) and it only says that theyre 'typical egg scatterers'

I saw a couple of the barbs (not sure which sexes) swimming really quickly in a tight circle, nose to tail, like dogs who get excited to meet each other, but really fast. Not sure if that means anything..

Thanks for any info.

20G
2 Opaline Gouramis
2 Golden Gouramis
2 Moonlight Gouramis
3 Blue Paradise Gouramis
1 Sunset Gourami
7 Tiger Barbs
1 Common Plec
1 Albino Cat
Asst swords, grasses, ludwigia, banana plant.
185 GPH HOB filter
(yes, I do need a larger tank)
LiveSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think what azn dreamer trying to say is, barbs don't get pregnant. Your barbs are probably just over fed / constipated.

Quote:
I saw a couple of the barbs (not sure which sexes) swimming really quickly in a tight circle, nose to tail, like dogs who get excited to meet each other, but really fast. Not sure if that means anything..
Hmm if they're both male than maybe they're in the middle of fighting. I saw 2 of my male platies do this sometimes.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #5

I know that barbs dont get pregnant. The females produce eggs (making them fat), and then they lay the eggs so the male can fertilize them.

I just wanna know how to persuade them to lay and fertilize, and will a little bucket like the fish stores use to put your fish in before they go in the bag work for spawning?

20G
2 Opaline Gouramis
2 Golden Gouramis
2 Moonlight Gouramis
3 Blue Paradise Gouramis
1 Sunset Gourami
7 Tiger Barbs
1 Common Plec
1 Albino Cat
185 GPH HOB filter
Old 01-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think they will spawn in a small container. They will look for a suitable area to scatter eggs. They will also devour their own eggs if given the chance. You could put them in a tank with moss, small stones or marbles in the bottom to catch the eggs. The parents should be removed and the fry raised in the spawning tank. Barbs usually spawn in the morning as the light increases. A rich diet with lots of protein puts them in spawning condition. Here is a link with more info than you want to know http://library.kcc.hawaii.edu/extern...ons/tiger.html Good luck!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSquid
Not to hijack the thread, but my female tiger barbs look FAT, which I assume means theyve got eggs. How do I induce spawning?

Would I have to have a tank I can move them into in order to keep the eggs from being eaten, or would a little plastic 'breeding cup' work (like that hangs on the rim of the aquarium.)

I checked the link posted above (obviously looked at the tiger section) and it only says that theyre 'typical egg scatterers'

Thanks for any info.
I have read the swimming in a tight circle and bumping each other is part of a spawning ritual...They may have spawned and may have ate their eggs before you even looked at the tank.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #8

Thanks for the link and the info, savga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Tester
They may have spawned and may have ate their eggs before you even looked at the tank.
stupid fish.

Thanks for the help, folks!

20G
2 Opaline Gouramis
2 Golden Gouramis
2 Moonlight Gouramis
3 Blue Paradise Gouramis
1 Sunset Gourami
7 Tiger Barbs
1 Common Plec
1 Albino Cat
185 GPH HOB filter

Tags
barb, golden, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com