Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to soccerjohn Send a message via Yahoo to soccerjohn
Question regarding Black Molly fry

As some of you already know I have a 2.5 gal tank full of black molly fry. My question is how soon do they start to show the black color? The reason I ask is cuz I was looking at a few of the bigger ones today and they almost look like they could be fry from the Danios Zebras. I know they lay eggs so this can't be impossible in my tank. But I just wanted to see if this was possible or if the black color on the mollys still hasn't come around yet. They are about 1 month old right now. Thanks

5 gal tank
Empty
soccerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ive got some molly fry that is about 3 weeks old right now - they are gold with black spots on their bodies and fins - and the black spots were visible from the first day I spotted them (i beleive they were not more than 2 days old at the time).

the mother is gold and the father is black - so im not sure if they would look much different than all black fry.. but thats my experience, at least.

HTH.

2 Cory Sterbai
2 Cory Adolfoi
2 Cory Schultz
1 Cory ?
6 Serpae Tetras
7 Red Tailed Rasboras,
2 King Cobra Guppies
2 Red Guppies
1 Orange Guppy
1 Neon Yellow Platy
1 Black Molly
1 Neon Orange/Black Swordtail
1 Bristlenose Pl*co
2 Clown Loaches
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:37 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

IME black molly fry were totally black from day one, so I don't know. Do the larger fry have a rounded tail or more of a forked tail?
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to soccerjohn Send a message via Yahoo to soccerjohn
well from what I can see is that they are still a little transparent so its hard to tell exactly. I sometimes see a little black but then they move another direction and it all changes. They seem to have a silver strips on their sides, at least the bigger ones do. I would have to guess from what I read above that I don't have molly fry but rather zebra danios fry. I guess they layed the eggs and fertalized them before I switched tanks. How often do the female zebras get pregant? I have noticed once even month at least but they can't do very well cuz they will eat their own fry correct? Right now I guess I will continue to raise these fry in the smaller tank and monitor what is happening in the bigger tank. Thanks for all the help and keep the ideas coming.
5 gal tank
Empty
soccerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black molly, fry, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com