Question regarding Black Molly fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerjohn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As some of you already know I have a 2.5 gal tank full of black molly fry. My question is how soon do they start to show the black color? The reason I ask is cuz I was looking at a few of the bigger ones today and they almost look like they could be fry from the Danios Zebras. I know they lay eggs so this can't be impossible in my tank. But I just wanted to see if this was possible or if the black color on the mollys still hasn't come around yet. They are about 1 month old right now. Thanks

Ive got some molly fry that is about 3 weeks old right now - they are gold with black spots on their bodies and fins - and the black spots were visible from the first day I spotted them (i beleive they were not more than 2 days old at the time).

the mother is gold and the father is black - so im not sure if they would look much different than all black fry.. but thats my experience, at least.

HTH.

IME black molly fry were totally black from day one, so I don't know. Do the larger fry have a rounded tail or more of a forked tail?

well from what I can see is that they are still a little transparent so its hard to tell exactly. I sometimes see a little black but then they move another direction and it all changes. They seem to have a silver strips on their sides, at least the bigger ones do. I would have to guess from what I read above that I don't have molly fry but rather zebra danios fry. I guess they layed the eggs and fertalized them before I switched tanks. How often do the female zebras get pregant? I have noticed once even month at least but they can't do very well cuz they will eat their own fry correct? Right now I guess I will continue to raise these fry in the smaller tank and monitor what is happening in the bigger tank. Thanks for all the help and keep the ideas coming.

Back
Top Bottom