Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tang23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on using API Quick Start for my 50g Saltwater aquarium. Says that I can add fish immediately, but will test anyway...
If so, do I need live sand?
Thanks
Ed

Actually, in researching, dry sand may be too fine, so I'll go with live. What about rock? Same question. My experience with live were bristle worms even though I was told there weren't. Will Quick Start cycle them?
Thanks
Ed

I can't speak for the API quick start but I have used Fritzyme #9 for starting saltwater tanks with great success. ( I hear a lot of failures with using some of the other products. ) As for adding fish immediately, no matter what "starter" you use, you still need to add fish slowly and carefully until the tank become more settled. These products do not carry a lot of nitrifying microbes so it easy to overload the system. One of the advantages of doing a fishless cycle is that you are using an amount of ammonia most likely higher than the ammonia production by your stock so when you start adding your stock, there will be enough microbes to handle the load.
What you need to understand is that these nitrifying microbes will be on any surface in the tank that has a good oxygen level. That includes rocks, corals, sand, substrate, filter media, plants, etc. They are usually found more in the filter because filters usually have the highest water flow so more oxygen. With dry rock, whether the microbes go to it or not will all depend on the water flow around it. With live rock, the microbes are already present but that doesn't mean they will stay on the rock if the oxygen level isn't good. ( But I get the bristle worm problem. ;) I've done long nights with a spear after them. LOL )

For what it's worth, Fritz does make a product called Turbo 900 which is a much more concentrated amount of microbes. I would suggest getting this from a store vs having it shipped to you because it needs to be refrigerated and only has a 6 month shelf life. In a shop, if it's not refrigerated, don't buy it. You can also choose a bottle that has the furthest expiration date. Who knows what it's been through when it's shipped.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom