Ram breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My German blue rams attempted to breed about 3 weeks ago. They squared off against any fish who came near them, rubbed each other, took turns guarding their territory, etc. I'm assuming there are just too many nosey fish in my 55g, and the eggs were eaten, because one day...they just stopped. Is it worth trying to move them to a separate tank? They still swim around together, and act like a pair, but have not gotten territorial or had their white ops show. I would love to see them mate, but don't want to disturb them if they're just "over it".

My German blue rams attempted to breed about 3 weeks ago. They squared off against any fish who came near them, rubbed each other, took turns guarding their territory, etc. I'm assuming there are just too many nosey fish in my 55g, and the eggs were eaten, because one day...they just stopped. Is it worth trying to move them to a separate tank? They still swim around together, and act like a pair, but have not gotten territorial or had their white ops show. I would love to see them mate, but don't want to disturb them if they're just "over it".

They pair for life. So if your truly interested in breeding them, move them over to their own 20G long tank.

Wow! I have bred cichlids and guppies, but I would truly love to breed my rams and angels! I'm going to try! Any tips on water?

Wow! I have bred cichlids and guppies, but I would truly love to breed my rams and angels! I'm going to try! Any tips on water?

Yup, keep it clean! They mostly breed in a more acidic environment but I have heard of successful spawning in harder water. I'd try to aim for neutral though (7)

Adult rams are mostly tank bred and can deal with the higher pH that most city water is. They're fry is a different story. I'd get a RO system and get a mineral additive that'll put your pH at around 6.5

Okay, so based on suggestions from a different thread, I put a tank divider in my 55g, to separate the blue rams, so they could mate peacefully. THEY JUST STARE AT THE DIVIDER! Lol. They hardly even clean the castle (as they did about 3 weeks ago, when they DID lay eggs...that disappeared.) I would swear the girl ram is depressed or sick or something! She looks dark in the head area, and doesn't show much interest in the male. I swear she even looks a tad smaller, but she still eats every time she's fed. I've got the water to 7.2 PH with RO water/tap mix. The filter on their corner of the tank has the purigen, so the waters clean. 0 ammonia, nitrites. 5-10 nitrates. The conditions were way worse when they DID defend the castle and try to breed. I did notice the girl's poo was white 1 day, but Im feeding bloodworms as a snack every night (is that too often? I split a veggie tab between 5 tanks in the morning, feed omega one super color flakes after work, and blood worms before bed). It sounds like a lot, but ALL of it is gone in 2 min, and they're up at the top begging for more! I'm just throwing out ideas here, cause I'd hate to give up....but I don't want any of them feeling cramped if they're just not gonna make babies! Any thoughts on how long I should give it before taking out the divider?
This video does not do my fish justice...as its unclear, and my fish are very bright colored (see profile). But I wanted to show her disinterest in the male, and how the tank is set up.
Give up on blue rams mating? - YouTube

I have never had any luck with dividers. The Best way to breed any fish is for the breeding pair to have their own Tank.
Did you know that Blue Rams are Geophagus? Also Do both rams have the same shape tail?

I don't even know what that word means??? And, they do have the same tail now that you mention it. I'm 99% positive their male/female (if that's what you were suggesting) because: the girls belly is red, they paired instantly (the second he was put in the tank...and have never swam without each other since, they killed the other female, the male "protects" the female from the Bolivian ram, the male has the spikier dorsal, with one ray a lot longer, the boy's dorsal fin flows past where his fin starts, and the girls doesn't. Finally, they tried to mate. l mean: rubbing each other, cleaning the castle, defending it against any size fish, she got really round and the white tube came out underneath (you could see something white under the boy, but not nearly as noticeable), she pulled up her bottom fins and did this "shudder thing"...and then the boy swam over the spot forward and back 3 times (I assumed fertilizing eggs), and then....they just stopped. Started swimming with the others. I assumed they are the eggs because there were so many other fish always poking around. I waited for them to start this process again, but it's been 3-4 weeks now. Honestly, I think she might be sick. I saw white poo one day, but hoped it was a blood worm. She looks dark in the head area, and has almost a green tint when she's not all "blue". She also looks whitish-yellow in the belly area, that used to be rosey. I hope I'm wrong. I was going to give them their own tank, but I swear they act lonely! Also, I used the divider to see if it was them nipping at the angelsfish. Since the angels are still showing new nips, I think it's probably the Bolivian ram. I'll probably just remove the divider and put the Bolivian a diff tank. Please tell me all you know about the blue rams. They are prolly my favorite! So pretty. I would love to know what that word means, and what I could do to put them back in the mood. I don't mind giving them a new 20g tank, but I'd have to depend on dr Tim's one-and-only...cause I don't have a cycled tank sitting around (not in use). Sorry....I always have too much to say :) but, I'm interested in anything you have to tell me about them, including the best way to mate them. (P.s. my bf thought we should put another female in...because Sahara went nuts last time, killed the poor new girl, and that's when the mating started. That's a bad idea right?)

I don't even know what that word means??? And, they do have the same tail now that you mention it. I'm 99% positive their male/female (if that's what you were suggesting) because: the girls belly is red, they paired instantly (the second he was put in the tank...and have never swam without each other since, they killed the other female, the male "protects" the female from the Bolivian ram, the male has the spikier dorsal, with one ray a lot longer, the boy's dorsal fin flows past where his fin starts, and the girls doesn't. Finally, they tried to mate. l mean: rubbing each other, cleaning the castle, defending it against any size fish, she got really round and the white tube came out underneath (you could see something white under the boy, but not nearly as noticeable), she pulled up her bottom fins and did this "shudder thing"...and then the boy swam over the spot forward and back 3 times (I assumed fertilizing eggs), and then....they just stopped. Started swimming with the others. I assumed they are the eggs because there were so many other fish always poking around. I waited for them to start this process again, but it's been 3-4 weeks now. Honestly, I think she might be sick. I saw white poo one day, but hoped it was a blood worm. She looks dark in the head area, and has almost a green tint when she's not all "blue". She also looks whitish-yellow in the belly area, that used to be rosey. I hope I'm wrong. I was going to give them their own tank, but I swear they act lonely! Also, I used the divider to see if it was them nipping at the angelsfish. Since the angels are still showing new nips, I think it's probably the Bolivian ram. I'll probably just remove the divider and put the Bolivian a diff tank. Please tell me all you know about the blue rams. They are prolly my favorite! So pretty. I would love to know what that word means, and what I could do to put them back in the mood. I don't mind giving them a new 20g tank, but I'd have to depend on dr Tim's one-and-only...cause I don't have a cycled tank sitting around (not in use). Sorry....I always have too much to say :) but, I'm interested in anything you have to tell me about them, including the best way to mate them. (P.s. my bf thought we should put another female in...because Sahara went nuts last time, killed the poor new girl, and that's when the mating started. That's a bad idea right?)

Yes do not add another female. If they are paired, that's it, nothing will come between them lol. In regards to breeding, it's really up to them. But you won't see eggs for another month at least after the first spawning. Give it some time they will drop eggs again. But def make sure to remove any aggression in the tank. And she may be upset because she has nowhere to go. The females typically get chased by the males and they need to be able to escape when they want to be left alone. The divider may actually be causing more stress than anything else. Also, it's possible the rams ate their own eggs. This usually happens the first couple times so be patient, could be a long time until you have a successful spawn.

Blue Ram Cichlid
Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi
This means its a Small Earth Eater. They like sand. They sift through the sand and eat mico algea and other small thing to eat. It doesn't mean they wont live with flake food they are fine with it. But they are hard wired to sift sand and are happyer with it in their Tank.
As for breeding. They need to be happy little fish. No stress. Water has to be 0:Amon. 0:Nitrate & 0: Nitrite. Keep the water at 80d. to 82d. Your water changes will trigger Spawning. You see SA fish like a nice cool rain. It triggers their spawn. So the water change is like a big rain.
IMO> you need a 30g tank to breed in.
Hope this helps.

Okay. I am going to purchase a 20g tomorrow and begin cycling. In the meantime, I will remove the divider and research how to make the new 20g a happy home for the rams (sand and etc). In the meantime, I'm still worried about my female. I'll try to attach pics. Her poo is clear/stringy today again. Almost like string with a clump at the end. I fed peas today, but she didn't care for them. If my fears are correct, and this is internal parasites, how could she have gotten them? I've had her 2 months, with no changes. The tank has never seen ammonia or nitrites. She looks round in the stomach (but it sticks out more on one side than the other). Her belly is red, but it is yellow in the front on the larger side. Her white thing is sticking out again (as it did the first time she laid eggs), but her poo is stringy. Could she still be trying to lay eggs? Also, I see references in different posts about rams about "as long as they aren't turning grey"....but I can't find what it means if they do. I swear her head is darker grey. I know this is the breeding section, but these are questions about a fish I'm trying to breed. If she may still lay eggs, maybe I should do nothing. Last 2 questions: 1. If she does die, will the male ever pair with another? 2. The other reason I put the divider in was because I do have a nipper. I didn't know if the German rams were the nippers at first, but i now know its definitely the Bolivian ram or the denison barb...or both (the angels have awful peck marks that happened after I put the divider in. The question: if something is wrong with my female, won't putting her back with a nipper do her in?

Attachments

• image-1448505537.jpg
    image-1448505537.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 92
I never finished my sentence earlier...can someone tell me what it means if a German blue ram starts turning grey? I know she gets blue when happy, and white when attacking, and stripes show when stressed. But her head is a lot darker than the males. These symptoms started before I put the divider in. Could this all be stress from the nipper?

I didn't remove the divider during my weekly water change tonight, because I want to make sure my female is okay first. Both rams have now started cleaning the castle, and they keep taking turns sitting in the same spot. The female even pulled up her bottom fins (as if letting eggs out) and I got all excited. But, then I noticed a white string coming from her, and worried some more!

Parasites can set dorment and never both the host. Add stress and they show there nasty. As a breeder We never try to save these fish but I understand you love your fish. You should ask in unhealthy fish.

Thank you. And you're right. I was only asking about this fish hoping someone would tell me she looked like a healthy, soon-to-be mamma! This morning, she is no longer fat on any side. I noticed them doing the "shuffle" thing in the same place, after one another. Either I will see eggs soon, or she is at least I constipated. I did change the water last night, so maybe there was something irritating her. Both rams are blue as can be today! And, I've never seen the females white thing stick out so much! Hopefully, they will show me some wigglers soon :)

Omg! Are these eggs??? The little amber dots were NOT On the castle yesterday! As I watched, the female pecked at the divider, as if wanting through. The male came out, and she turned dark in the head and kinda pecked him in the mouth. He went to the spot where this pic was taken and stayed there. Does this mamma just not want to be a momma? And what do I do now? I'm afraid she'll eat them if she isn't digging this sitch. I want to remove the divider, but I KNOW a different fish would eat them...if indeed they are eggs. Should I remove them? Anyone with experience, please advise...

Attachments

• image-2360775243.jpg
    image-2360775243.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 81
A couple more questions: is it normal for the male to care for the eggs? He seems to big the female to take care of them, but then chases her off as soon as she goes to the eggs. I'm attaching utube videos, but they're not super clear. My choices are: leave things be and hope they don't eat them, take the eggs out and try to hatch them myself, or remove the divider and hope they defend these eggs that they don't seem overly concerned about! Or....could I just take the mom out? Could the dad hatch them alone if I kept the divider in, so no other fish was a threat? Sorry I'm a pest, but I've been waiting for this for a month....and the way she's acting, I'm not sure ill get another chance....
http://youtu.be/yPv72KUp0Xo dad fanning the eggs
http://youtu.be/F6CFVafEYp8

Yes those look like eggs and both parents take turns watching the eggs. If you can keep them away until they hatch you might get lucky. Otherwise they will probably get eaten.

They are separated (with eggs) from the other fish by a divider. Should I put parents with the other fish?

Back
Top Bottom