Rare Fry!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
Those morning as I was about to leave for work I noticed a flash of sliver out of the corner of my eye in 6.6 gallon tank. As I walked over to the tank I noticed 8-10 rather large Poecilia Reticulata "Orange Line" Rio Moricha fry. I promptly removed the female because they are notorious fry eaters. I am pretty stoked as this is my first batch of fry after acquiring these fish this spring.

In case you have never heard of this here's some back ground information. Poecilia Reticulata "Orange Line" is a fairly new and rare fish that only a handful of people in the entire United States keep. These are some of the hardest to find live-bearers out there right now, f you are lucky enough to find them they can go for $80 + a pair. To make matters worse the original breeder of this strain has sold off all his stock and went back to Europe.

This strain was collected in Rio Morichal,El Salto at the Highway 10,bridge,75KM SSE Maturin.(9.45 N, 63.10 W) Venezuela.

Right now these fish are classified as a wild guppy but some people think they might be a new species of micropoecilia.

Here is a picture of the originators of the strain, I haven't taken any pictures of my own yet.
img_2566092_0_bb3002bca2be8d382ecec71faa302acd.jpg

Wow! Thats awesome! Bet you are excited!

I am super stoked, especially since one of my friends also got some allot longer ago than I did but has only managed to save a few fry here and there. One of the bummers is the spawns tend to be very male heavy so it takes allot longer to get sizable colonies.

I can start a waiting list but please note these will be at minimum $60 a pair. Male to female ratios of the fry will greatly dictate the price. That's a great deal, I paid allot more than that for mine! ;-)

Since they are so limited, what are you gonna do about the normal inbreding of them? Are you going to get another pair from a different "family" and add it to the batch. Eventually the quality of them will go down..obviously this takes some time, but i'm just curious. Also, congratz..that is awesome.

Nice fish! I've never heard of them before and are they about as big as feeder guppys?

Yes, they Poecilia Reticulata.

Since they are so limited, what are you gonna do about the normal inbreding of them? Are you going to get another pair from a different "family" and add it to the batch. Eventually the quality of them will go down..obviously this takes some time, but i'm just curious. Also, congratz..that is awesome.

Well they are all from wild caught stock so there is quite a bit of genetic diversity right off the bat even in the fish I have. My friend also managed to get a pair and has fry growing out too so we can always swap. It will take a looong time for the strain start to express any genetic defects.

Back
Top Bottom