Rare Fry!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very interesting that you get so many males. It would also be interesting to see if temperatures did affect the sex ratios. I have Endlers and it's about 9:1 female to male at the moment.. which is a bit annoying, since only the males have the lovely colours.

Too much money for me at this point, but I'd sure be interested if it came down some later on. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

As for rare or not rare fish, fact is, collectors are constantly seeking new fishes, and there are places, like some of the lakes in Myanmar, where new species are being found almost all the time. So many they aren't even classified or decribed officially yet.

Sometimes it's because a given fish is limited to a small area, other times it may be a seasonal thing, they are in a place only during the wet or dry season, and other times a fish that's thought of as commonplace in the home country, is rare elsewhere because nobody has started collecting them regularly to sell or export. Fish collecting often does not pay very well for the guys doing the actual collecting, but a fish that starts out rare can become commonplace in quite a short time if enough interest is shown that collection is done on a larger scale, or captive breeding begins and is successful.

Celestial Pearl Danios are an example of a once rare fish that's now pretty common, and costs much less than it did when it was new.

At least these probably were not caught using cyanide as is done for Oto cats and many other species. Good luck with them.. it's pretty cool.

I wonder if there is anything good in Bolivia, I go there every year it's so fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom