Severum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EDE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Severum keep laying eggs. They have hatched twice but we’ve only been able to raise one. The last batch, as soon as we saw fry I moved the male to another tank. The next day no more fry. The first batch I moved most of the dry to my planted tank and never saw them again. I suspect the Ram. Any thought would be great. More cover? Move female maybe?

My Severum keep laying eggs. They have hatched twice but we’ve only been able to raise one. The last batch, as soon as we saw fry I moved the male to another tank. The next day no more fry. The first batch I moved most of the dry to my planted tank and never saw them again. I suspect the Ram. Any thought would be great. More cover? Move female maybe?
Anytime you disturb the pair, you risk them eating their spawn as a natural defense. You need to either remove both parents or remove the spawn. As for where to move the spawn, they are best to go into a separate tank with no other fish or scavengers. Eggs are easier to move than fry so you want to do this before the eggs hatch. If you don't want to risk losing the spawn by moving eggs, you can try to time it so that the pair cares for the eggs until the day before they should hatch. Of course, this does keep them in danger of being eaten by the parents.
So you need to decide if you want the parents to raise the spawn or if you want to take that chore away from them. You don't want to just remove one of the parents.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom