Tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vysekal

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well my idea is to boil driftwood for tannins and use it in my betta breeding tank to protect if from bacteria and fungi things like fin rot and so on..... And also lover the ph

Well my idea is to boil driftwood for tannins and use it in my betta breeding tank to protect if from bacteria and fungi things like fin rot and so on..... And also lover the ph

Depending on the type of Bettas you're breeding, it seems like you are going through a lot of unecesssary work for breeding.
For Betta splendins, having the purified water is more important for after the fish are removed from the breeding tank than during the breeding. It's when the fish are recuporating from breeding that they are most susceptible to disease. If you leave the male in the tank with the eggs, he will be removing any dead or unfertilized eggs before they have the chance to fungus over. The females usually take the most beating so they would be needing the most attention, post spawn, with either medicated water or sanitized water.

For what it's worth, the breeding tank should be clean from the start so disease shouldn't be an issue in there unless you are trying to breed unhealthy fish (which usually won't breed BTW ;)).

Also, being in Florida, I breed my Bettas in rather high PH water so I'm not sure why you are lowering yours :confused:

Hope this all helps...(y)

From what I know tannins prevent bacterias from growing and reproducing same with fungi, it also relieve fishes from stress, iw done it because instead of buying almond leaves (thousand of them) because I have more breeding tanks and barrack i tried to get tannins this way by boiling driftwod, my betas won't spawn at ph 7 or higher so tannins reduce it to around 6.5 and I also done it because when Berta's spawn they tend to rip their fins+ stress from breeding can cause fin rot whih happend to me but with lover ph and tannin it won't happen that easily

From what I know tannins prevent bacterias from growing and reproducing same with fungi, it also relieve fishes from stress, iw done it because instead of buying almond leaves (thousand of them) because I have more breeding tanks and barrack i tried to get tannins this way by boiling driftwod, my betas won't spawn at ph 7 or higher so tannins reduce it to around 6.5 and I also done it because when Berta's spawn they tend to rip their fins+ stress from breeding can cause fin rot whih happend to me but with lover ph and tannin it won't happen that easily

Obviously, if your fish won't breed in the higher ph then you need to lower it.;)
I know about the almond leaves and in truth, have never used them. I have been breeding Bettas for over 40 years pretty much the same way which is in a new tank, with very conditioned fish. Once removed from the breeding tank, I put the fish in water that has been treated with nitrofurizone for about a week which prevents any bacterial or fungal diseases from attacking the breeding wounds. Depending on the severity of the wounds, the fish are ready to go again in about 10-14 days.

Feel free to PM me and I will send you my entire breeding program (y)

Back
Top Bottom