There's something in my fry tank, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlyons01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have more than a dozen just hatched yesterday, peppered corydora fry in a 2.5 gallon with a home made sponge filter thingy and the water is about half full. I was just sitting here, looking into the tank when I noticed these tiny almost microscopic white things fluttering about the tank walls, in the water. What could they be? I am using a sponge that was in an established tank, squeezed it into the fry tank for the micro something or others for them to eat when the yolk sacs are gone. I noticed that really made the water cloudy so I siphoned out about half of that and replaced it with water from the community tank, where they were laid. The sponge just has an air stone inside of it, with a small air pump and its just below the water surface and there is sand over the bottom, probably too much, but some will get sucked up when I start cleaning the tank after they start to eat. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am sure I could try and squish them, though they seem to move pretty fast (not the fry, the things) or I could remove the fry and start with new tank water from the big tank... Please help, I don't know what I should do... Oh I also have 2 very small pieces of anacharis floating in there too...

I'm not 100% but it could be the tiny creatures that live naturally in your substrate, sometimes they come out to feed, especially after the light been off and if there is fry feed in there. If so they wont harm your fry as long as your fry get fed.

Anyhow, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you an expert opinion!

I don't think so, it looks more like a bug, in that it is not worm like looking. All white, kinda like a flea I guess in that it seems to move very quickly, jumping over the glass and sort of swimming. I looked around on google earlier today, and think maybe copepods(sp?) or something of that nature. I am guessing that they came from the filter media sponge that I put in there, and the tank it was in does not have any sick fish. So best guess, they seem to be harmless, but if I see them attacking my fry, I will have to try and eradicate them...

Back
Top Bottom