Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unexpected spawning - Tigerbarbs!!!

I came home and to my surprise, my tiger barbs were breeding. In the process really. She was laying eggs and about 3 males were chasing her and doing their best to fertilize the young eggs.

As I was completely un-prepared for this spawning I didn't have a tank and all that setup so. I grabbed one of the larger microsword plants that had a good 40 - 50 eggs on it and quickly transplanted it into my tank with my neon tetras.

The neons mainly eat Betta food Along with the betta. I don't have the time to setup a grow out tank. I want to get them into a tank they have at lest a chance for, I have access to baby brine shrimp from a LFS that sells them at a half doze different sizes.

But here is what tanks I have access to try and raise a few of them in.

50G Planted - 11 ADULT tiger barbs, 5 inch rainbow shark, 6 inch pleco
10G Unplanted - 7 Neon Tetras, 1 Betta, 1 oto
5G Planted - Lightly - 2 Dwarf puffers, 1 oto.

I can get a breeding net of anyone thinks that would work, budgets not a problem. But I would really like to try and raise a few of the fry. I've done my homework and know what to feed and all that stuff, I planned to do this in a month or so after I've moved them to the 75G tank and be able to use the 50 as a grow out... dang horny fish.

On a good note, I got some pictures of her dropping the eggs I'll get them up as soon as I can find my cable for my camera.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool! Make sure to post pics, and good luck raising the fry!

Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The key to spawning fish and raising any fry is in preperation before hand. It's difficult at best to raise fry in a tank containing other fish. Fortunately, a 10g tank and a few basic accessories are all that's needed to breed a fish like tiger barbs.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just wish I had a little more warning.

For now the neons tend to be leaving the leggs alone. I guess we'll see what happens.

HAPPY!!

Tags
barb, barbs, spawning, tigerbarb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com