Unknown fry breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmoor311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey blackmoor311 here,
Probably a stupid question but can some fish crossbreed??? I have a molly, platy, gourami and 3 scissortail tetras. The babies are all orange, yellow or red so I suspect my platy but how does she do it! Random fry appear out of nowhere with my gourami chasing them. I don't know what to do I don't have enough room in my tank for more fish and the first brood of two unknown fry are as big as the first link in my pinky and they will eat the newborns. Please help! I don't want them to die!:hide::angel::banghead:

Last edited:
Yes, some fish can cross. Mollies can cross with guppies. Platties can cross with sword tails. Mollies cannot cross with Platties or sword tails and vice versa. Plus mollies and platties can get pregnant for several months even without a current male. They hold onto the sperm from one breeding for a long time and use it to become pregnant several times when the conditions are right. So even buying all females does not guarantee no fry. It will run out though, usually in 6 months or so. Eventually they would need to breed again to produce more fry. Few will survive the Gourami unless you have a ton of hiding places. If you get too many you can ask local pet stores if they will take them or sell them in the classifieds.

Forgot to say that tetras are egg scatters and do not cross with other tetras or other fish to my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom