Von Rio Tetra carrying eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darbyy7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tetra that is carrying eggs. I dont know how long it's been so there's no way to tell when she will be laying them. I bought a 2-way Breeder and put her in it. It is made so when the eggs are laid they will sink to the bottom into a seperate part where the big fish cant eat them. I was wondering if the fish is stressed out, or if it is normal for a "pregnant" fish to lay on the bottom of the tank. Also, how long do they carry they eggs for until they lay them? Thanks

It does not work that way. She will lays eggs at the same time a male fertilizes them. There is generally running about the tank and lots of chasing. It sounds to me like your fish is bloated. See if she will eat a bit of a pea and maybe do not feed the tank tomorrow.

Then how would I seperate the eggs from the fish? The person at the pet store said I could put a lot of plants for the fry to hide in, but I know that the fish will eat the eggs. I dont have a seperate tank to put them in, then take out the fish, so do I just let them eat the eggs? Also, how do I know the eggs have been laid, will the fish just go back to her regular size?

I do not think she is carrying eggs, tetras and fish in general do not work that way. If she is heavy or bloated chances are good it is not from eggs. Laying on the bottom says to me she is not well.

I do not think she is carrying eggs, tetras and fish in general do not work that way. If she is heavy or bloated chances are good it is not from eggs. Laying on the bottom says to me she is not well.
my swordtail always layed on the bottom before she gave birth,but i know tetras are egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom