Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
Want to make a new strain of fancy guppies

I am new to breeding fish but decided that I want to create my own strain of Fancy Guppies. I would prefer to to a double swordtail but am not sure what the best place for me to start is.

Would it be better to pick a double swordtail and breed it with a few random guppies? Or would it be better to pick a guppy with nice coloration to breed with the double swordtail?
__________________

__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I am new to breeding fish but decided that I want to create my own strain of Fancy Guppies. I would prefer to to a double swordtail but am not sure what the best place for me to start is.

Would it be better to pick a double swordtail and breed it with a few random guppies? Or would it be better to pick a guppy with nice coloration to breed with the double swordtail?
I thought it was rare occurrences that swords and guppies breed until i recently bought a female lyretail swordtail i have her in with my guppies no male swords. The male guppies keep trying to mate with her and now she is quite visibly pregnant. However it may have happened at the pet store when she was with others swords. I will have to wait and see. I wonder if the guppy x sword combo would lead to living healthy fry or if they would come out dead. Or would they have a hard time swimming due to the finage?
__________________

__________________
PolyptRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
Sword tails are a type of platie if I'm not mistaken and shouldn't be able to successfully breed with guppies. I am referring to a different tail type of fancy guppy.

This is approximately what I mean by double swordtail
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Sword tails are a type of platie if I'm not mistaken and shouldn't be able to successfully breed with guppies. I am referring to a different tail type of fancy guppy.

This is approximately what I mean by double swordtail
My mistake there have been accounts of swords and guppies breeding successfully as well as platies and guppies. So i thought maybe this was what you were speaking of.

The double swordtail you speak of is more correctly named a lyretail guppy
__________________
PolyptRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post
My mistake there have been accounts of swords and guppies breeding successfully as well as platies and guppies. So i thought maybe this was what you were speaking of.

The double swordtail you speak of is more correctly named a lyretail guppy
That's surprising. I wouldn't imagine that species that are that far removed from each other would be able to create successful fry.

I also found a picture that shows all the different guppy tail types, it should explain what I'm trying a little better. Spear tail would be my first choice but from what I've heard its a really really hard tail type to keep.

__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

That's surprising. I wouldn't imagine that species that are that far removed from each other would be able to create successful fry.

I also found a picture that shows all the different guppy tail types, it should explain what I'm trying a little better. Spear tail would be my first choice but from what I've heard its a really really hard tail type to keep.
I don't know how true the stories of swords and guppies breeding is i seen it online. :p

I too am always interested in breeding guppies and any other live bearer i just find it hard to think of all the variations there can be and how i could make my own. I guess its all trial and error to see what you get.
__________________
PolyptRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
I had one very nice fish randomly occur once it was a leopard spot lyretail guppy very pretty.

I think it would be interesting to breed endlers live bearers with fancy guppies. Have you ever thought of trying that?
__________________
PolyptRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post
I had one very nice fish randomly occur once it was a leopard spot lyretail guppy very pretty.

I think it would be interesting to breed endlers live bearers with fancy guppies. Have you ever thought of trying that?

I did actually think of that but from what I've been reading intentionally crossing an endler with a fancy guppy is generally frowned upon since there are issues with the purity of available strains.
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

I did actually think of that but from what I've been reading intentionally crossing an endler with a fancy guppy is generally frowned upon since there are issues with the purity of available strains.
Yes the whole hybrid thing but what people forget is that pretty much every pet available to us is some form of hybrid even humans are hybrids.... Just my opinion though but i know there is a big fuss over the whole thing i don't really get it.
__________________
PolyptRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
oscarchic11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: maine
Posts: 906
I am creating my own strain of gups starting with wild type feeders. My first batch are starting 2 get their colors.
__________________

__________________
oscarchic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fancy, guppie, guppies, strain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.