We have eggs!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GorJess

Aquarium Advice Regular
My kribs that I've had now for a week have laid eggs... The female keeps going over to the eggs and putting her mouth on them.. What is she doing??
The male is in another cave and keeps chasing away any other fish that go near the other cave with the female and the eggs.
This is my first time with these kribs they have both came from a different shop so it's thier first time spawning together. The eggs are light brown and there is about 40-50. What do u think the chances are of these eggs hatching? I can't catch my catfish do u think he will be a problem??
I noticed when i saw her today she was breathing really fast and I was worried about her., is this normal behavior when spawning??
So please tell me 1. Do the eggs have a high success rate as its their first time spawning
2. Her breathing really fast is that normal?
3. Why is he in a different cave than her but also protecting her cave?
4. Will the catfish be a problem?
5. Do I need to remove either of the parents?
6. Any other info at all u can give me in regards to kribensis eggs, fry, duration , success rate...
Thanx in advance ;)

OK, first congrats, sounds like the eggs are fine. Her mouthing them is likely to clean off anything that settles. The male is likely in the other cave because the brooder cave is too small or he is inexperienced. You never said what type of cat fish you have but regardless that likely spells trouble. If you can move it just for a few days that will help. Leave both parents in as they will gaurd the eggs and fry. The eggs from what you have said likley, -85% chance,- will hatch. Mom and Dad may get a lot meaner protecting them as time goes on.

Now for the part you don't want to hear, you will need to feed the fry bbs or micro worms to to get a decent survival rate and avoid stunting them. I would suggest moving the other fish out. Just observe and learn what seems to be a problem for the pair. That could be other fish, bad actors, or anything else. I love Kribs and they will continue to breed once started.

Great!!! Thank you so much for ur reply!!!

I think ur right about the cave being too small perhaps..... The first time I put them in there he went straight into that cave. A couple days later I got the other ceramic pot / cave and she went in ... So maybe they just have preferences.
After a lot of yelling and cursing I finally caught my catfishes. There was 2 in there they are just small sucking catfish but god they can swim fast!! I took all the plants out and his cave and I was able to catch them after about 10 mins. I just hope I Havnt disturbed the kribs. Do they get upset about rearranging while they are protecting eggs??
I read somewhere to take the father out after eggs have hatched is that true??
And how long after they hatch can I let them free with my guppies and platys and blind cave fish?

I can't find the eggs now!! Do u think she had moved them or eaten them? She is hanging in the cave with the male now

They may have eaten them if they felt they could not protect them. Kribs don't move their eggs, so likely you will have to wait about 1 1/2 weeks and they should spawn again.

Sorry to hear the results of this batch, but don't give up just yet. I've had stranger things happen so carry on as if the eggs are in there.

As for the male, no you don't have to remove him. I always move the fry at about two weeks free swiming and the Kribs typically breed again. They are cool little fish and once they settle in the catching other fish should not matter.

So there is absolutely no chance they have been moved??
The female is now in the cave (the other one) with the male, she only comes out for a few seconds and goes back in...
Maybe the eggs are there?? Or maybe she's upset???
I feel horrible!! I was so excited.. I feel like a failure!

Back
Top Bottom