Which live plants to choose to help the fry survive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
I breed guppies, but the fish always swarm my fry and eat them all before I can get to my fry, I was wondering which live plant I could use to raise the survival rate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Najas or hornwort, fast-growing floating plants that provide plenty of cover. Breed endler's instead, they don't eat their fry...

Najas or hornwort, fast-growing floating plants that provide plenty of cover. Breed endler's instead, they don't eat their fry...

Where do I get endler's. I have seen them very rarely around here.

I started breeding Endlers at my LFS request. I got mine off of aquabid.com. Adrian H. Seems to be the guy in Endlers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Floating Plants

I breed guppies, but the fish always swarm my fry and eat them all before I can get to my fry, I was wondering which live plant I could use to raise the survival rate.

Hello keeg...

Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort. Feed all the fish a little more and a little more often. Well fed adult fish are less interested in the fry.

B

Also making sure the adults are fed pretty regularly helps a lot. I've lost batches I otherwise wouldn't have because I went away for a day or two and the adults didn't get fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your breeding tank has very low light, then you should consider using plastic plants. Or else your live plants could all die before the fry are even born. That's what happened to my $20 worth of Anacharis last year. That money would have been better off spent on a few plastic plants or two breeding traps.

Also check out my breeding trap thread here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311499

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anacharis doesn't do very well in low light, java moss, anubias and similar do pretty well. Hell, I have anubias nana in my 30g and I don't even have a light on the tank, just a little daylight that doesn't even entirely hit the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have java moss and water wisteria and I've seen my guppy fry hide in them.

Fry will hide in any object. Live plants, plastic plants, christmas garlands, spawning mops, stone caves, PVC pipe caves, etc. Live plants look nicest, but only if you take care of them and keep them alive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom