White cloud eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know - they are egg scatterers so most likely you will never see the eggs. They will fall individually and are very tiny.

Do you see eggs in your tank?

Yes I think I see eggs or they ordered out for CousCous. They do seem a bit large (0.5mm?) and attached to leaves. I can only count ~10 now but I read they lay eggs over several days. I do not think it is the bronze cory's or the shy oto's. I will see what they do tomorrow? The tank isn't a month old!
Cheers
Joe
8O 8O 8O 8O

I'm breeding white clouds myself now Joe. My first attempt failed (didn't have a heater going in their breeding tank) but I could clearly see the eggs. But if they're still there after 24-36 hours, they either got fungus on them, or were unfertilized and should turn white. If you can't see them anymore, 2 things are possible, they hatched, or they got eaten.
I just restarted 2 days ago trying to breed them. I know, they do it automatically, but I want to keep them from getting sucked up in the filter or being eaten. I've had them for 6 months now and never saw any fry, so that's why I breed them in a seperate tank.

If you should see some fry, you can feed them boiled egg yolk dissolved in some water, or very finely ground flake food. Those are the easiest foods and they should do ok on them. The white-cloud fry looks for food at the top of the tank, so it's a good idea to have some plants floating in your tank (I took some cuttings from stern plants and just let them float). That way you can drop the food around or on these plants, and it sort of adheres to them, instead of sinking.

Good luck!
HTH

I can definitely see small spherical objects adhering to foliage in the tank. They are opaque and light. So I take from what you said that these are not viable. If they had viable siblings I see no sign of them now. There are still two very gravid (Is that like very pregnant?? :D )females in the tank. Can they become stressed and ill if they do not release their eggs?

I am not sure I have room for more fish in the tank so my solution is rather Darwinian in approach.

I like the white clouds they are nice swimmers and active but not too aggressive. They also cycle through different types of behavior from clustered "schooling" to dispersed in the plants.
Cheers
Joe

Yes they are great little fish, very active and very peaceful at the same time. Too bad they're already extinct in their natural habitat. So it's up to us to keep this specie alive!.
I do not believe it is harmfull for your fish to be very pregnant. When they have to, they will release eggs. I have noticed that in my community tank they stay very gravid and release small amounts of eggs at a time. In a breeder tank I set up with 1 male and 1 female, the female was only half her size after a day or 2, and I had 80-100 eggs. All of which were lost because of no heating (the parents do fine in colder water, but I'm pretty sure the eggs don't).

Your Darwinian aproach may be succesfull now and then, but you'll have to be heavily planted, or at least some spots in your tank do, because the young and eggs are also tasty snacks for other fish.

Cheers,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
I did not know they (WCMM) are no longer in their natural habitat. Where did you read this? I saw some Albino White clouds the other day at a local shop. I thought of dropping one into my little school to see what would happen..... but decided against.
Cheers
Joe

A report issued in the summer of 1999 indicated that white cloud mountain minnows were extinct in their native habitat in China. A copy of this report could be found at this site but may be removed at any time.

This can be found on this site (and on others, just google extinct WCMM): http://www.fishpondinfo.com/wcmm.htm

But don't feel obliged to breed them, they'll be around for a long time I think. Must be one of the most common fish people keep.
The albino variety would of have been fine in there, just coloration that is selectively bred. I think it would be no problem to have it breed back with 'normal' white clouds.

I'm breeding white clouds myself now Joe. My first attempt failed (didn't have a heater going in their breeding tank) but I could clearly see the eggs. But if they're still there after 24-36 hours, they either got fungus on them, or were unfertilized and should turn white. If you can't see them anymore, 2 things are possible, they hatched, or they got eaten.
I just restarted 2 days ago trying to breed them. I know, they do it automatically, but I want to keep them from getting sucked up in the filter or being eaten. I've had them for 6 months now and never saw any fry, so that's why I breed them in a seperate tank.

If you should see some fry, you can feed them boiled egg yolk dissolved in some water, or very finely ground flake food. Those are the easiest foods and they should do ok on them. The white-cloud fry looks for food at the top of the tank, so it's a good idea to have some plants floating in your tank (I took some cuttings from stern plants and just let them float). That way you can drop the food around or on these plants, and it sort of adheres to them, instead of sinking.

Good luck!
HTH
I know this post is 12 years old, however I have white cloud eggs scattered around my anubuas plant, i moved the plant to another non heated tank and the eggs are still there after nearly a week

Any help?

Back
Top Bottom