Would this be a good idea to breed guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to get a net breeder and buy 2 or 3 female guppies (maybe just 2), put them in the net breeder with a male that i already have.... And the reason why i dont want to release them into the tank is because i have 5 other male guppies....
So i just want to put 1 male guppy and 2 female guppies in the net breeder just until they give birth... Then i'll put the 2 females in the betta tank that i have in storage...

2) would anything happen if i just release them into the tank with 6 males?

Two female guppies released into a tank of six males would become very popular quickly:hide: . It would be somewhat cruel to do this, however (IMO). The numbers are way out of proportion and two females would be relentlessly harrassed to exhaustion. They may not live long enough to give birth. Not sure how big the betta tank is but it would be wise to divide up the group so that there is no more than one male per two females.

If I understand correctly you intend to leave, in a net breeder, two females and a male for the duration of her gestation period?

Leaving the fish in a small net breeder this long will stress the fish out a lot. One female should only be kept in a net breeder for a maximum of two or three days. Regardless, if you left them all in the net breeder the babies would get eaten anyhow.

It's easy to breed guppies. I can't stop them so I've decided to take advance of it for my angelfish breeding project. :)
Just put 2 females to one male in a 10/20g tank.
They are a very very hardy fish! Used to put them in a cup the night before birth with a fake bushy plant and seems to be good enough to keep the youngsters alive. Just make sure u take the mother out after they give birth and they will also eat them as they are still giving birth nasty buggers.
I just had a fresh batch of babies two days ago. Don't feed them anything special. Just flakes.
Water is 24c but they can live in cold water (caught some from my local inlet) and up to 30c I've had them (depending what tank they are in)
Ph 7 and up I find they like best.
And any hardness. I try for 5-8 just because that's the average of most my tanks.
Once u set it up right. They literally breed like rabbits and are impossible to stop. Lol. Best of luck and feel free to ask anymore questions :)
Also. If u are breeding to sell to your pet shop, ask them if they will buy them before u start your project as mine would not.

Back
Top Bottom