YAY new fry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
got-to-love-Chiclids said:
All u have to do is pinch there cheeks and they will spit out the babys u don't wanna strip the eggs because they will die

Oh ok because I wanna a breed electric yellow labs too :D

I remembered the other one I bred, psuedotropheus polit. Egg tumblers are easy to find online, eBay and such and all you need to run it is an air pump and adjustable air flow valve. I recently had electric yellows that I bred and found just letting the female hold worked well. I would keep an eye on her at feeding time and once she started feeding a little (feeding the fry in her mouth) I would wait a couple days then strip her. I had my tank setup with minimal rocks so it was easy to catch her and didn't require a tear down. I still had places for her to hide which is key. Either way works its a personal choice. With stripping the eggs you have to keep an eye on the tumbler but eliminate the female spitting the eggs or fry for other fish to eat, if not set right the eggs will go bad. With letting her hold you run the risk of her spitting and the eggs or fry being eaten. Having done both methods it's easiest to let her hold and strip her once she starts taking small amounts of food.

kdpuffer said:
I remembered the other one I bred, psuedotropheus polit. Egg tumblers are easy to find online, eBay and such and all you need to run it is an air pump and adjustable air flow valve. I recently had electric yellows that I bred and found just letting the female hold worked well. I would keep an eye on her at feeding time and once she started feeding a little (feeding the fry in her mouth) I would wait a couple days then strip her. I had my tank setup with minimal rocks so it was easy to catch her and didn't require a tear down. I still had places for her to hide which is key. Either way works its a personal choice. With stripping the eggs you have to keep an eye on the tumbler but eliminate the female spitting the eggs or fry for other fish to eat, if not set right the eggs will go bad. With letting her hold you run the risk of her spitting and the eggs or fry being eaten. Having done both methods it's easiest to let her hold and strip her once she starts taking small amounts of food.

Much Easier to let the eegs hatch

Alright it's been awhile for an update.
Baby fry are doing wonderful. I've counted around 21 [good job mama]

Here are some pictures
The first 2 pictures are of the little fish I've started calling "sharkbait"
He's the one with the messed up tail fin.
He used to stay up at the top of the water but now he swims with the rest of the fry and eats well too. Let's hope he lives a long life.

The other 2 are just a couple pics where you can see the patterns really well.
Theres one [not pictured] who has Tiger stripes...really dark ones that are really cool all the others just have normal stripes.

Over all I love these little fishes :)
The are hilarious to watch. They are super interested in you and come right up to the glass wonder what your doing and stare at you.
They LOVE food and love swimming in the current of the filter.

Attachments

• Sharkbait.jpg
    Sharkbait.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Sharkbait 2.jpg
    Sharkbait 2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_0404.jpg
    100_0404.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_0391.jpg
    100_0391.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 52
Oh and for the pictures of the dad I took some tonight for help with ID'ing him.

The yellow lab is the mama of the fry.

Attachments

• 100_0424.jpg
    100_0424.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_0423.jpg
    100_0423.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_0421.jpg
    100_0421.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0420.jpg
    100_0420.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 48
IMO I would have euthanized the deformed one. I no it is hard to watch the larval fish become juvenile just to end up removing a percentage of them. The worst thing is the pet store might not be interesting in it. You might not want it, and finding a home might be hard. If the stores does take it the deformed one. Someone might buy it and breed it. Then the undesirable traits could get past done in it's genes.
I myself watch for spinal deformity, bent or shortened opercula(gill covers), airbladder defect( belly sliders), bent or shortens fin rays, distorted body or head shape.

I didn't notice until about a week ago. The tank they are in has many hiding places.
And I already planned on keeping it as well. The deformed fish is my favorite actually.
I'm not going to kill it because it's deformed and I don't plan on breeding it either.

As long as it has a home. That was my concern. I have seen many single fish at a few lfs. Reason being they are deformed and couldn't sell them. I have a gold barb in my 35 that has a shortened gill cover. I feel bad for it. I don't know if it would make it harder to take in oxygen but I have thought it was sick a few times. Same with a couple other people. I just sit and say nope. It's just a birth defect.

Back
Top Bottom