Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #11

POTM Champion
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Originally Posted by MbunaBrotha View Post
Very polite. Sorry for being new to a forum and suggesting a valid idea. A good idea is a good idea no matter where it comes from. If you don't have African or South American cichlids, this discussion doesn't affect you. But for those people that do have these fish we basically want nothing to do with one another. There's already a few that also find it to be a hassle.

I also was a member for about 2 years on another name when I had tropicals, "itssas" was my name i believe, and have made quite a few transactions with members in the classified section. However when I transitioned to cichlids and started using this name elsewhere, I found that many other forums were more useful in the particular subject and opted to not sign up here due to the condition of the cichlid section. I didn't think there would be such hostility about a suggested improvement. I bet those 10-15 posts per day would increase greatly if the cichlid thread was a bit more organized, thats all I was saying... Seems I'm not the only one either.

I believe newcomers to both the forum and the hobby in general should have the most specific information as possible to make educated decisions, not two continents worth of cichlid information to sift through. The hobby is already tough enough for a lot of people, why make it harder
Dividing into several subforums does seem to take the opposite effect though at some point. I am a member on a forum that has INSANELY specific subforums, it makes the whole place seem bigger and "scarier" so to speak. With slightly more generalized subforums, more people will probably enter that subforum, so potentially more people reading your thread. As I said, there is a point for division but now IMO is not the time. By the logic presented, shouldn't FW general discussion be divided due to the mixing of threads about fish with ranging care needs and Geographic locations? The division of the Cichlid subforum is not a bad idea, however I'm sure this idea has been floated in the past with site staff; due to the separation not yet having happened, I am inclined to believe that they too feel there is not an urgent need for division at this point in time.

Also, just as a note, if anyone wants to find specific information in a subforum without randomly scrolling through pages, there is an excellent search feature which I urge you to utilize. At least in my case it has helped me a great deal when trying to find information on here.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Understandable. I'm not fussing over it anymore, just would have made things very nice and tidy! oh well... cheers to trying!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
It's being discussed by the staff. Closing thread to avoid any ruffled feathers until we've made a decision.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Closed Thread

cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com