Gestapo Control Of Forum Topics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipper2Me

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was disappointed to see the Forum topic thread "Cycling a fresh water tank with an old tennis shoe" started by pyackel was removed from the site. Though the topic was unfamiliar to me, I thought the question was interesting and the responses entertaining. As the thread continued to grow I would come back to the site everyday to see who was responding and what was said. Apparently I wasn't alone. Over 6300 hits were registered to that thread. And as a business man, I would think that, that type of response is good for everyone involved with AquariumAdvice.com. Especially the owner of the site. To remove such a gem of an attraction, humorous or not is a great pity and bad business.

bad business is giving bad advice.

if all people come here for is some lame topic on if its possible to cycle your tank with some old shoe then I am really sorry we have nothing else of interest or content here.

What is good business is keeping this site full of content that is of benefit to the hobby and not something that is of a possible hinderance.

becoming the laughing stock of the aquarium world is not something we take likely. Time and time again it was asked to find hard credible evidence that such a method would work. None was provided and the topic became nothing more than name calling of which is against the rules and regulations of the site. and that is why the topic was locked.

In the past 2 days my threads and inbox are found to be replete with replies from a cult-like dogmatic adherence in opposition to plain, albiet bizarre, conjecture on the esoteria of the universe we live in. I am disappointed to have come to a place seeking insight and encounter such unprofessionalism...

Ya ya, I have seen that argument already.

1259 members like this site enough to join. over 1000 people visit this site daily. If we where unprofessional and ran such a bad site we would not have this kind of traffic.

Go post your shoe cycling topic over at reefcentral.com and report back as to how well its recived. My guess is your gonna soon find out our "unprofessionalism" is a whole lot more professional than the response you get over there.

FishFreak. If I recall, pyackal did not claim anything. He simply asked a question, looking for advice. Isn't that what this site is all about?????

None was provided and the topic became nothing more than name calling of which is against the rules and regulations of the site. and that is why the topic was locked.

100% correct. :idea: :!: :!: :!:

in other topics there where clames as to have seen this or heard of this in the asian area of the country.

How could I provide evidence of what was information issued by hearsay? I was ASKING a question.

Well i have to belive you its hearsay as I have never heard nor have any of the other staff here heard of such a method for cycling.

Thats not saying collectivly we know it all but it is saying that method is not an overly common method. Given that its uncommon to cycle that way one would have to feel its either impractical or ineffective.

Now with that said I have explained why the topic was locked and removed. There is no benifit from having any further public discussion as to why the topic was locked/removed and there for we should all just drop it and move on.

Fair enough sir. I have already started my experiment though. With your permission, I can post my results.

How could I provide evidence of what was information issued by hearsay? I was ASKING a question.

We've been over this in pm. Your question was answered, you chose to continue on with it, your question was answered honestly by several people, not just one. Many posed reasons why it was a bad idea, yet you still continued on with the thread. Then when a challenge was posed to you, the gauntlet thrown down so to speak...you started showing signs of irritation and then dropped to name calling. There had already been a warning in that thread, hopefully you remember it, both parts hold true.

Oh yeah....as for the popularity, it's kinda like a train wreck you don't wanna look...but you just can't help yourself, that does not mean it is noteworthy in any way accept notoriety.

Fair enough sir. I have already started my experiment though. With your permission, I can post my results.

Please do.

Yep. I am interested in your results. I posted in the other topic what I felt you would need to do to get a true control out of this. I will try to repeat my views here since the other thread is out of view. (for what its worth it was not deleted it was simply removed from view.

I feel to get a proper test out of this one would need to know how long it took for a known level of ammonia to cycle the tank on its own. Lets say an ammonia level of 1.0ppm to cycle to 0ppm of ammonia and 0 ppm of nitrite on its own. Once that time was established in a seperate tank or after that tank had been drained and sanatized to remove any bactera from the system add the 1.0ppm of ammonia and add your method to cycle. In this case being a single or set of footware.

Then measure the days it takes to get to 0ppm of ammonia and 0 ppm of nitrite.

Does this sound like a correct experiment process? Just trying to remember from my days in science class as I know you need some kind of control to measure your tests aganst.

Thanks for your professionalism FishFreek

I wish there were more of you out there...

BTW before someone feels they where wronged by us moving the thread to site help feedback. It was moved here because it was a question about the site and thats what the site help/feedback forum is for.

I see they are removing any thread that makes a good point like the Gestapo one by Flipper....this one won't even last as long as the Venera 13 planetary probe. Of course - I'm sure someone will feel the Venera 13 probe is a myth.

The Gestapo thread wasn't removed, it was moved to the Site Help/Feedback forum, it was better suited to that forum than the lounge. I am merging this thread with that one.

Argh, I had a nice post on that other message but you must have merge them before I submited. I got some error when i posted and then IE crashed and I lost my message.

Dangit. Oh well.

:lol: :lol:

It seems like i read your mind pyackel as three minues prior to your posting that we removed it i posted that incase anyone thoght we moved the post due to its content we really moved it cause it fit better in site help feedback. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom