Camallanus: Revenge of the Worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnimalKrazed

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I'm back again. (-_-; )

I expect most people won't remember that I popped into the Unhealthy Fish section back in March to consult the wonderful members of this forum for advice on how to deal with Camallanus during the cycle period. I stopped updating the thread I made then for two reasons; 1. The red threads disappeared in all affected fish after a week of treatment and 50% water changes every couple of days, leaving me with the thought that they had been cured & 2. I had to leave my fish in the care of family as work took me away from the tank from late April to late August. I did stop by every other week or so to check in, do water changes, that sort of thing.

Some things went well, some things didn't (the guppies that brought the worms in the first place died off sometime in August for unknown reasons), as can usually be expected when leaving fish in the care of those who don't really take part in the hobby themselves. Anyways, as I was watching my fish yesterday after introducing a new fish to the tank I noticed my Dwarf Gourami looked a little bloated. Concerned, I looked at him closer with a flashlight in hand and...dun dun dun saw those little red threads hanging out of his vent. Given I have had previous experience with just this problem, I immediately went and grabbed my PraxiPro and started dosing the tank then had to leave for university commute.

Now, remember how I said I had just introduced a new fish to the tank? That new fish, an attractive looking Clown Pleco who has yet to be named, was left in the tank with several other fish who had already been exposed to the hanging threads of doom for long enough that I knew they were likely to be exposed for about 4-5hrs before I could get back home (which, btw would have been around 10:50pm). Thankfully, when I dosed the tank, the Clown was right in the current so they were medicated as soon as they were in the tank. However, since I don't want to leave anything up to chance, as soon as I got home, I located the Clown and kept an eye on them as I set up a temporary quarantine tank from a, then in-use, plastic storage container for him to stay in as fast as I could.

It took me about thirty-five to fifty minutes to go from in-use tote to an impromptu quarantine aquarium with plenty of driftwood to nibble on with de-chlorinating water and a working heater (meaning they got placed into quarantine at about 11:30-45). Took the Clown out of the tank as soon as a half hour had passed since putting in the de-chlorinator (something that happened around the twenty min mark) and checked up on him a couple times before I went to bed (meaning I fell asleep at 1am this morning).

The little guy is doing well last I looked in on them. Last confirmed sighting was this morning at about 9-10am when I lifted the driftwood to try and see how they were doing. Left them a couple of tiny algae wafers in case they decided to take a break from the driftwood but so far they haven't touched those (which I guess was to be expected, given there wasn't a large amount of driftwood in the tank at the store, though at least there was some).

My current plan of action is to keep my Clown out of the 10G for as long as there are signs of the parasite, while pre-emptively treating him with the PraxiPro to try and prevent the worms from taking root. I'm cleaning out the 10G, heavy duty style, as soon as I get home today, then refilling and redosing. I'll probably keep doing this every 2-3 days either for 2 weeks or until the parasites disappear (whichever happens first). If the worms haven't kicked the bucket by that point, I'll probably have to consider what to do since I cannot keep the tote as a permanent tank due to a lack of proper filtration and other reasons.

As I live in Canada, I am unable to get access to the Levi-meds that everyone seems to swear by when it comes to Camallanus (couldn't even find it on Kijiji and you can find almost anything you need/want on that site). Any other recommendations or additions to my current plan of action?

I'll add photos of the 10G in question and the tote-orary :)brows:) tank later tonight.

I'm tentatively saying no for my immediate future as of today and tomorrow, I'm going to look further into this one to see if I can't get it over the weekend but I cannot find it listed in any of the local pet stores or fish shops in my immediate area...and any area within an hour of me. When I checked it on Kijiji, only one that could have fit was a 14kg pail of safe guard for cattle. :(

I'll take the hint of that and check with local livestock stores to see if they got something inside a reasonable price/size range. It'd be ridiculous if I bought that 14kg pail for a 10G tank, right?

It would be a little bit of overkill. Fenben in food will also kill camallanus

So, Fenbendozole is often available where farm animal supplies are.

EDIT Oh, - missed that post above somehow.

Check for SafeGuard for Goats it is 125ml and the treatment is able to be made easily as it is a 10% suspension. Not sure about the one for cattle. Maybe stronger % as you would need more for a huge cow???!

Ask the farm animal supply about a Levi med option dewormer too. Just maybe.

Thanks mbkemp and Autumnsky. I have some time tomorrow that I will be using to visit the local places for SafeGuard and similar products. I know that Walmart has SafeGuard for horses, for some reason? I'll probably begin there, since it's likely to be cheapest there, and expand my search outwards to see if other places can help or provide...or maybe I'll just ship in SafeGuard for dogs from Walmart if that is an option like their website suggests.

I took photos this morning of both the tote-tank and the 10G and then got real busy with university and stuff. Going to be uploading those soon.

The liquid suspension is more easily mixed with water, than the dog dewormer pills in powder form, and easier to calculate for me anyway being it is 10% and the dog pills are maybe 22%, can't recall.

Okay just looked it up and...
thread link could possible help but I would think you would need a stronger dosage for your fish. And the levamisole HCL would likely be the best choice.

~~~~~~~~<<>>~~~~~~~~
This mentions the dosing for Planaria in a shrimp tank, most mild dose for Planaria and not to effect shrimp.

The Dog wormer is 22.2% and would need to be calculated differently than the liquid suspension.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/planaria-and-hydra-liquid-treatment-243568.html

Edit - added this fyi
http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedWorm.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Autumn! Really useful and def something to research.

Decided I’m calling the Clown Pleco Cled’s for now. Don’t know why, just figured why not.

Here’s some quick pics.
Tote Tank
107629-albums14626-picture71867.jpeg

10G before the WC
107629-albums14626-picture71868.jpeg

Cled’s Close-Up
107629-albums14626-picture71869

Whoops, looks like Cled's close up didn't stick. I'll just add it now.
107629-albums14626-picture71869.jpeg

Went with the name Cled cause it could go either way. If it's a girl, Cledopatra. If a boy, Cledonardo. :p

Done doing my investigation, fenben and levi HCL are a no go. None of the pet stores and other such carry it. The stores that do are kind of strict and require 'vet's orders' to allow me to take it home. A fish with worms wasn't enough to do so. :( Going to just tough it out and continue trying to fix with PraziPro.

Instead of just using as a bath, going to try and mix it in during meal time so the fish ingest the medications directly alongside the bath, still using advised doseage on bottle. Pretty sure that will at least move things along a little faster if nothing else.

On a brighter note, Cled is doing well. Going to move them over to my 6G for temporary housing until everything in the 10G is handled. They have handled the transition well, claiming a nice cave in the dragonstone I have in there for themself. They stay in there all day, and are quick to slide back in there at the slightest notice.

Hmmm. Disappointing to hear no go for the meds. Keep the water clean and fresh. Do the best you can.

I checked in with a friend regarding euthanasia meds, and actual meds are available from an exotic vet Doc only here. Luckily we can get some other things.

Good luck there.

So, quick question. In regards to the camanallus worm, it's supposed to move when the fish makes sudden moves right? Cause the ONE fish in my tank that noticeably has the worms never has the worms actually retreat into vent or anything, even when he is swimming fast. I was wondering if the PraxiPro either killed or paralyzed the worms and my DG just has been unable to get them out?

I'm kind of just nervous about this cause the other fish that has been in the tank with the DG just as long hasn't shown any signs of infestation through either of the incidents and the latest additions haven't shown signs either. They all eat vigorously whenever food is presented, are pretty active, etc. The DG has been less active, but I'm now unsure if that is just because of the camanallus or if it might just be irritation from having the worms stuck in his vent. Seen him take several large dumps, and the worms never move so I am just confused right now.

When you see the worms those are generally females spraying eggs. They dig into the insides with their insidious teeth and don’t let go. That damage will lead to bacterial infection

The infestation is advanced when you see the worms. It might be worthwhile making friends with a vet

Thanks everybody for the help. Updating you guys on the situation since it’s been a couple weeks since I did so.

I finally managed to get a hold of the medication, but it was a little too late. My DG passed from the camanallus shortly after treatment started and the other fish in the tank hadn’t shown any sign of having caught the worms in the two months they shared the tank with him. Finished treatment though before I tore the tank down and sterilized it with vinegar and bleach over a couple days. Figuring out what I’ll do with it now stocking wise since I’m restarting it.

Will definitely be on the lookout for camanallus future purchases and pre-working from now on. Better set to defend against the red thread menace should they darken my tanks again.

Again, thanks everybody for your help with this.

Back
Top Bottom