Launching a new window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FawnN

Aquarium Advice Addict
When did the setting change here at AA? Why does a new window open when reading/replying to posts?

I personally don't like it, especially when I'm at work. Is it just me?

Me to.

It has only just started and I also do not like it at all.

What browser are you using.

The ONLY change we made recently in this reguard was to have the search results open a new window when clicking as there is a slight bug in some browsers that caused people when they hit back to go back to the search listhing to get a page error.

I personally have used IE6 and Firefox 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 and do not have this occur when using the Post new topic or the quick reply.

This occurs when I go to view new posts since my last visit, and then go to the actul post I want to read and/or reply too. It leaves my original window open and then launches a new window to the post I want to read.

I haven't changed any of my settings at work or at home and I just noticed this over the weekend.

It's no biggy, but I kinda liked the way it was.

Right. Cause the view new posts since last visit is a search query. Hence the new window. Some people where having the issue of hitting the back button to go to the search list and getting a page error.

One way to keep the window from opening is to hit the little graphic for the "last post", highlighted in this screen cap. Or if the topic is more than one page...if you hit the specific page number it will open in the same window (also highlighted in the screen cap).

topics.jpg

If your searching by posts rather than topics...it will simply open the post in a new window/tab. I think most people will prefer this method after they get used to it, I can understand how it might be tedious using the "view new topics since last visit", but there are options to make it work the "old" way, it will just take a little bit of getting used to, but at least if you forget where to click to open in the same window...you haven't lost your place. Personally using a browser that uses tabs, I haven't noticed it at all, as I always opened opsts in a new tab anyway.

Back
Top Bottom