Virus Possing as being offical Aquarium Advice notice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today in my e-mail I receved a virus that contained text possing to be an offical e-mail from the "Aquarium Advice Support Team". Be cautious of any e-mail you receve expecially one asking you to open an attachment. For reference purposes I have included the e-mail message below.

Dear user forum,

It has come to our attention that your Aquariumadvice User Profile ( x ) records are out of date. For further details see the attached document.

Thank you for using Aquariumadvice!
The Aquariumadvice Support Team

If you receve this be aware this is being sent under no authority of myself, Reefrunner69 or any other representitive of Aquarium Advice. It is a virus and should be treated as such with quick deleation. My antivirus software has identified it as Worm.Mytob.CT.

This virus most likly spreads thru the address books or mail boxes of those whom are infected. What that means is most likely one of you all is infected with this virus and everyone should as a precautionary measure update your antirvius def files and run a system check.

EXCELLENT. Just as I post the above my inbox collects this varient.

Dear Aquariumadvice Member,

We have temporarily suspended your email account forum@aquariumadvice.com.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of subscription due to an internal error within our processors.
See the details to reactivate your Aquariumadvice account.

Sincerely,The Aquariumadvice Support Team

Again another virus

I have had that one arrive in my inbox with the 'Aquariumadvice' being swapped out for 'eBay'....not sure just how the thing works, but someone falling for a similar e-mail must have got stung...no way to trace it, I suppose?

This is probably a variant of the 'Mytob' worm that is also going around on our campus. Someone probably infected their computer and the worm saw AA in the e-mail address book and is "spoofing" email messages. As I tell of our students, if you weren't expecting an attachment don't open it!

:)

Back
Top Bottom