First aquarium since 2005 or so - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonatheber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I used to have freshwater setups and had guppies for years, but basically stopped about 15 years ago. I really like breeding guppies, but they always died.... My tanks were probably to small (30 gallons, I think), and because it was set up way to far from the sink I had a horrible time filling it and cleaning them. (Carrying Home Depot buckets filled with dirty water up and down stairs to the basement is no fun) The kids are old enough that I'm starting over, and this time it goes next to the kitchen.... I need some guidance on getting started.

I bought a 10 gallon starter kit at Petsmart for $34 - I figure to take pregnant females and put them there to have the babies. I now need to figure out the main setup....

I figure to go to a 55-75 gallon setup. I can fit that in the space I have. I've been looking at Craigslist, but all of the ones in my area seem to already be full and I don't have people in COVID times to move around 800 pounds of tank. I'm therefore probably going to have to buy new.

1) Petsmart has a "Marineland® Heartland LED Aquarium & Stand Ensemble, 60 Gallon" https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks...and-ensemble-60-gallon-34998.html?cgid=300207 on sale for 15% off of $185. I was going to wait for the Petco dollar/gallon sale, but this price (including the hood and stand) seems to be pretty good based on what I'm seeing. Am I wrong? Can someone take a look? I'm particularly curious about the lighting - I'm wondering if the hood is so awful that it makes the set a bad idea.

2) The tank will be in the den, and that's where the family hangs out and watches TV. Am I right that the quietest, best filter right now is Fluval seven series or maybe a Penn Plax?

3) What else should I be considering as I start back up? I assume technology is much better than 15 years ago....

Thanks for whatever advice you can give!

Guppy breeders I follow on YouTube usually recommend 20-gallon tanks, though I've seen some who work with as small as 5G tanks. (BTW, videos from experienced keepers can be a great source of information.)

I'll let others answer about the Marineland tanks, though I recall hearing very mixed reviews of them.

For filters you have a lot of choices. Since it's in the den, I assume quiet is a priority. Any number of canister filters should do the job. (One tip: place the canister in a bucket or deep dish, in case it ever leaks) I'm partial to Eheims, but I know people who like the Penn Plax you mentioned. Aquapros has a video you might find helpful:

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom