¿What is Lilaeopsis nova "mini"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-cubed

Aquarium Advice Regular
My local fish store (I will not mention the name, but the largest and best in the Portland, Oregon metro area) has a plant labeled as "Lilaeopsis nova 'mini'". This is not the normal sized Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae or any other microsword I have seen, but something new that is only about an inch or less tall and very grass like, growing and spreading by runners. And it is very expensive with a price of $16.99 for a 2 inch square growing on a stainless steel mesh. When I asked I was told it came from Japan (Takashi Amano) by way of a broker in San Francisco.

This store always has a great selection of plants and fish, some I have never seen before and many rare items. Yes, all fish and plants have their Latin names too! And yes, the prices are fair for what they carry.

If anyone knows about this plant I would welcome any information. I am sorely tempted to get a piece, but the price scares me!

Well, I wanted this plant in the foreground of my tank so I got a start. It is much smaller than the normal micro sword which was available at the store too. Here is a picture I took with a penny leaned up against the aquarium for a size reference.

e-cubed-albums-e-cubed-aquarium-picture1193-8133067.jpg

ive never seen this variety before, but probably likes the same environment as normal Lilaeopsis. High light levels, good water flow and a cooler temperature. I like the look of it though, i like to get in my rasbora tank.

Back
Top Bottom